Q. My mother is suffering from a mental disorder for 24 years. Can she recover?

Dr. Ruhi Satija
This is a premium question & answer published on May 30, 2020 and last reviewed on: Jun 10, 2020
Respected sir/madam,
My mother has been suffering from mental disorder since 24 years (from my birth) . My dad took her to the hospital and undergone treatment also but no use , after up to 2 years prescribed medicine also used . It had been 20 year of not using any medicine and treatment . Since my birth
i hadn't my mother's love and care . Now I want to get her treatment . Her condition right now she is healthy , don't remember anyone ,quiet calm , sometimes do whatever we told.
Is there any chance to recover ?
Please give me some advice as I don't know what to do?

Dr. Ruhi Satija

Psychiatry
#

Hello , I am sorry to hear about your situation. I can imagine how hard it must be for you. In your query you have not mentioned the diagnosis so I can't suggest exactly what needs to be done but I will explain how it works .. The fact that you mentioned that she doesn't remember anyone could be a part of 1. Dementia for which you would require a neurologist , Medications can help to an extent . 2. Psychosis or Depression can have such reactions , you will require a Psychiatrist for this . A complete evaluation is required , the doctor might do a CT/ MRI depending on the symptoms and start treatment accordingly and yes Medications can help to an extent depending on severity of the issue. One way is to get her treated on OPD basis ie at home with followuos with doctor , or you can opt for residential treatment facilities which keep the patient in the facility and there is a holistic approach to treatment where doctor , nurses , therapist , etc works as a team in recovery . I would need more information about symptoms or need to talk to your mother to be able to understand exactly what she is going through . I hope this helps .. Feel free to contact me if you have any questions. take care .

| 

I am experiencing psychosis after being sexually abused for years. Please help.

Query: Hello doctor, I am an 18 year old, and I have been sexually abused as a child for many years. I have never told anyone, and now my parents got divorced. I am experiencing numbness and psychosis symptoms, but they do not affect my daily life, and no one knows what I am going through. I wanted to know...  Read Full »

Depression - a State of Mood Imbalance

Article Overview: As this world is growing more advanced in every field possible, depression is becoming a common term talked about by almost everyone. Read Article

Let us see what depression actually means. Depression in simple words is a state of mood imbalance. It is characterised by prolonged sadness, irritability and loss of interest in daily activities. Changes in mood, irritability, anxiety, sleepiness, etc., are common but when these signs become so pr...  Read Article

Postpartum Depression

Article Overview: Postpartum depression (PPD) or postnatal depression is a kind of depression that affects a new mother. 80 % of all new moms experience baby blues, but if the symptoms are severe and it starts affecting your ability to care for your baby, then it is a sign of postpartum depression. Read Article

Dr. Sneha Kannan

Postpartum Depression Postpartum depression (PPD) or postnatal depression is a kind of depression that affects a new mother. 80 % of all new moms experience baby blues, but if the symptoms are severe and it starts affecting your ability to care for your baby, then it is a sign of postpartum depress...  Read Article