Q. Has Metformin 500 been recalled due to cancer scare?

Dr. Prabhakaran Selvam

I have diabetes type 2. I am a female. My age is 27 and my weight is 43 kgs. I am currently been taking glimepiride and metformin 500. My height is 5'1''. I have read that metformin 500is recalled due to cancer scare. Require alternative medicine. My last sugar check was 395 mg

Dr. Prabhakaran Selvam

Diabetology General Medicine Sonologist Toxicology
#

Hello greetings.. Happy to give consultation to u.

With the above given history, u r sugar levels are very much high and u need to control u r sugars as early as possible. The current medications are not at all enough to control u r sugars. I will give u the prescription.

Regarding metformin, the cancer risk behind metformin is totally wrong, it's a good drug of choice even we r prescribing this in pregnancy too.. So don't worry abt the cancer risk behind metformin, tats False news.

I would like few investigations for u-

1. Fasting / post prandial sugars
  2. HBA1C
  3. URINE ROUTINE

Kindly do all the above investigations and get back for further evaluation.

I am hereby sending the prescription kindly get these tablets and start taking it. Will follow up in a week with the above said investigations..

Medicines- 1) Tab. Glykind-M 80/500 1-0-1(Before food) (Gliclazide+metformin)

2) Tab. Dynalglipt-M 20/500 1-0-0 (Tenegliptin)

Kindly take these tablets and get back for follow up with above given investigations..kindly contact me anytime for further queries. Kindly give u r valuable feedback. Thank you.

| 

Can I use Metformin for diabetes prevention and weight loss?

Query: Hello doctor, I read over the internet that tablet Metformin helps decrease the weight and prevents the onset of diabetes. Both my parents are diabetics and I weigh 70 kg. Hence, I want to use Metformin for diabetes prevention and weight loss. Yesterday, I took 500 mg and I do not feel any problem...  Read Full »

Cancer in Pregnancy: a Multifaceted dilemma

Article Overview: The incidence of cancer being diagnosed during pregnancy has increased because of delayed child-bearing age, advanced imaging techniques during antenatal care, and the known occurrence of age-dependent malignancies. Read Article

Dr. Sujata Mittal

Cancer, as of now, is considered to be a disease of lifestyle and majority of cancers occur in middle and late age. With the postponement of marriage and childbearing to late thirties, it is not surprising, that number of women diagnosed with pregnancy and concomitant cancer is increasing. Further, ...  Read Article

What is the recommended dose of Metformin for my sugar levels?

Query: Hi doctor, My age is 33 and weight is 80 kg. My glycosylated fasting sugar 106 and postprandial is 115. Will Metformin help me to lose weight? Which medicine is better, either Metformin or Metformin extended release? How much dosage should I take?  Read Full »

Ask a Diabetologist Now