Q. Has Metformin 500 been recalled due to cancer scare?

Dr. Prabhakaran Selvam
This is a premium question & answer published on Jun 06, 2020 and last reviewed on: Apr 19, 2021

I am a 27-year-old female with a weight of 43 kilograms and a height of five feet. I have type 2 diabetes. Currently, I am taking Glimepiride and Metformin 500 mg. I read that Metformin can cause cancer. I require an alternative medicine. I had my last sugar level of 395 mg/dL.

#

With your history, your sugar levels are high and you need to control your blood sugar as early as possible. Your current medications are not enough to control your sugar. Regarding Metformin, your cancer scare behind Metformin is totally wrong. It is a good drug of choice. We give it even during pregnancy. So do not worry about the cancer risk behind Metformin. It is false news. I suggest you do these investigations. You need to do fasting and postprandial blood sugar, Hba1c (hemoglobinA1c), and urine routine. Have a follow-up within a week with the results. Kindly take these medicines. You can take tablet Glykind M 80/500 (Gliclazide with Metformin) twice a day before food, and take tablet Dynalglipt M 20/500 (Metformin and Teneligliptin) once a day with food.

|