Q. I get loud ringing noise in head with severe headache. Could this be due to brain hemorrhage?

Dr. Alexander Davis, Md
This is a premium question & answer published on Nov 11, 2020 and last reviewed on: Nov 26, 2020

Hi, I am finding it difficult to explain my symptoms to GP and concerned that I may be experiencing more serious symptoms than I am able to explain. Over the past week on 3 occasions now I have experienced a very loud ringing noise in my head. Followed by a sharp head ache which last for a couple of minutes. On this most recent occasion i can taste blood and my nose and roof of mouth feels tender as though i have a nose bleed but there has been no visible blood. I now have a (front) head ache which feels like squeezing of the forehead. I believe it may be tinitus but i have concerns as my mother passed of a brain hemmorhage at the age of 29 and I am currently 28 years old. Is it possible this could be connected? I was lead to believe it was not hereditary, if so, can early detection prevent fatality? Any advice you can provide would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

#

I am terribly sorry that you are experiencing these worries.

First of all the good news would there have been blood that you taste, it would have been visible. But this was not the case. What is more, a brain hemorrhage is very less likely to make you “taste blood”. The symptoms would be different.

However, given your family history and your headaches I recommend that you see a neurologist. Ask your GP for a referral to a specialized centre for such brain issues that your mother died from. It would be a good idea to have a look into your brain with a device called Angio-MRI. That’s an MRI which is able to make all the blood vessels in your brain visible. With this procedure one can rule out that you are at any inherited risk, or at least reduce or fix it if there should be an abnormal finding. On top all the other neurological standard tests should be run, like an EEG etc.

If you notice the typical signs of a stroke, even mildly, call an ambulance. That might even speed up the diagnostic process given the lengthy waiting times at the NHS.

I personally, however, believe that you are suffering from migraine mixed with psychosomatic symptoms caused by the loss of your mother. But that’s just my impression. Let a neurologist have the last word.

To reduce your anxiety until then you should see a psychotherapist to ventilate your fears in a professional environment. I will also prescribe you a mild anxiolytic.

Psychosomatic symptoms triggered by migraine attacks.

See a specialized neurologist.
Angio-MRI.
EEG.

*Inherited vascular anomaly.
*Various other.

*Migraine
*Health anxiety
*Psychological trauma

Until you are through with all tests:
Take Atarax (Hydroxyzine) 25 mg, 3 times a day.

Psychotherapy or counseling.

| 

Does nose bleeding occur after a septoplasty?

Query: Hello doctor, Last week, I have done a septoplasty and the dressing was taken out yesterday. Now my nose bleeds a lot the whole day and then it was normal. Today I woke up and there was a lot of blood in my nose and it was dry inside. Is it because I missed out taking the nasal spray while I was asl...  Read Full »

Why do I hear a ringing noise in one ear better than the other?

Query: Please give me a meaningful response as i cant aford to reply and i am scared that i am slowly losing my hearing or something. I have had tinnitus in my ears for about 7 months now and it sounds kind of like T.V. static and its not loud so its okay, but today my phone emited a very high pitch sound ...  Read Full »

Do I hear little sounds in a quiet room due to my anxiety?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 34 year old female, and my hearing is good, Is it fine to hear little sound in a quiet room? Can there be a sound of our brain or blood flow?Are these idle mind's thoughts?  Read Full »

Vitamin D and COVID-19
Did you know COVID-19 patients with vitamin D deficiency are twice as likely to have severe complications, including dea...  Read more»
The New 'Super-Spreader' Strain of Coronavirus
A new variant of SARS-CoV-2, the virus that causes COVID-19, is spreading fast in parts of the UK. Read how this new var...  Read more»
How to treat my mother's sigmoid colon ulcer?
Hi doctor, My mother, who is 45 years old, has ulcers in the sigmoid colon for the last 15 years. The problem got reduce...  Read more»

Ask a General Practitioner Now