Q. Is it safe to take Ibuprofen when on Flunarizine medication to ease my migraine symptoms?

Dr. Aida Abaz Quka

I have currently been prescribed to take tablet Flunarizine 5 mg. I just started taking this medicine three weeks ago (after two years of not taking it, I do not have headache problems), so the full effects may not be fully here yet. The doctor suggested taking it for five days then two days off. If I had a migraine attack on one of my off days, would it be fine to pop an Ibuprofen to ease the symptoms? Or generally, is that not a wise choice? Kindly help.

#

I understand your concern. It is too early for tablet Flunarizine to completely prevent headaches, so it is pretty common to have headaches at a lower frequency and intensity. I would suggest that it is fine to take tablet Acetaminophen or tablet Ibuprofen during headaches, even if you regularly take tablet Flunarizine. I also suggest that it is fine to take painkillers for headaches, as it is a preventive treatment.

I hope you get well soon.

Kindly revert in case of further queries.

|