Q. How long will it take to remove the retained milk teeth?

Dr. Soheel Hussain Zargar
and medically reviewed by Dr. Nithila A
Published on Jul 15, 2019

I have two milk teeth in my mouth in the upper part. There are two adult teeth on top of that as visible from the x-ray. I wanted to know if I start the procedure now, how long it takes to pull the two adult teeth down and remove the baby teeth?

#

There are retained teeth and impacted permanent canines (attachment removed to protect patient identity). As your age is concerned, it is a complicated procedure to move them orthodontically after extraction. Still, I think you consult an orthodontist that will decide the treatment plan. Usually, it will take one year or more to move them to the desired location after milk teeth are extracted, followed by the orthodontic procedure.

Would you suggest to go for the treatment or let them stay as it is? So far, I have not had any problem, but one of the teeth is becoming loose, and the other one adjacent to it is coming out a bit. So, need advice if it would be good to get the process done?

#

Better is to contact orthodontist because with time, the milk teeth will loose, and you will end up with gaps in between teeth that will create esthetic difficulties.

Dental Schedule For Children To Prevent Future Dental Problems

Article Overview: This article emphasizes that, adequate care of the milk teeth till the child reaches 15 years will reduce many possible dental problems and save you money later!!! Read Article

Dr. Naveen Thomas
Pedodontist

All the dental problems which are found in an average human being can be prevented if proper timely intervention is done. Every child should be made familiar with a dentist at an early age and not just when he is having pain or discomfort. A child should be brought to a dentist for the f...  Read Article

Should I get my milk tooth removed and get an implant in its place?

Query: Hi doctor,I am 21 year old male. I have a milk tooth. It is the second premolar. The X-ray does not show any signs of a normal tooth under or near it. The doctor said that an implant is necessary. So, is it necessary?  Read Full >>

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. The milk tooth in adults is called as a retained deciduous tooth. You can first go for an extraction of your deciduous (milk tooth). Then you have the options of going for an implant, RPD (removable partial denture) or FPD (fixed partial denture). Considering your age...  Read Full