iCliniq logo

Ask a Doctor Online Now

HomeAnswersObstetrics and GynecologymiscarriageI underwent dilatation and curettage with irregular cycle. Help.

What could be the cause for the irregular bleeding and how to get pregnant with a history of miscarriage?

The following is an actual conversation between an iCliniq user and a doctor that has been reviewed and published as a Premium Q&A.

Answered by

Dr. Uzma Arqam

Medically reviewed by

iCliniq medical review team

Published At May 2, 2023
Reviewed AtOctober 16, 2023

Patient's Query

Hello doctor,

I am a 37-year-old female, and I recently suffered from a miscarriage with dilation and curettage. At that time, the bleeding was less. But when I had my first period after that, the bleeding was heavy and lasted for one week, and then light bleeding was there. What could be the problem? I am concerned because I want to get pregnant soon.

Kindly help.

Answered by Dr. Uzma Arqam


Welcome to icliniq.com.

I went through your query and understood your concern.

It would be better if you send me your detailed gynecological, obstetric, medical, and drug history when you had a miscarriage. It is important to note when the bleeding stopped. If it is more than 21 days after the last bleeding then the pregnancy effects were less, and serum beta-human chorionic gonadotropin (hCG) should be nearly normal as in non-pregnant women. After evacuation, did you experience any abnormal spotting or cramps not immediately, but after two to three weeks or fever or any signs of infection? If anything was retained inside the uterus during the evacuation, then it could be the cause of infection. Symptoms such as pain, smelly bleeding or discharge, and fever may be present. If it is asymptomatic then, it can be excluded in a transvaginal scan.If the transvaginal scan is normal and the serum beta hCG comes negative, I suggest you follow the instructions mentioned below.

  1. If the scan is normal and the pregnancy test is negative, then take a tablet Tranexamic acid 500 mg every eight hours for two to five days for reducing bleeding.
  2. Take tablet Norethisterone 10 mg from day 4th to 25th day of menstrual cycle regularly for three cycles to regulate periods.
  3. After three months have intercourse during fertile periods of cycles.
  4. Have Folic acid daily 0.4 mg daily.
  5. Get a thorough examination and treatment for all your health issues.
  6. Consume a healthy diet with less oil, sugar, and salt. Also, avoid spicy foods.
  7. Exercise regularly, do yoga and walking, and maintain normal body weight and body mass index.
  8. After 3 months, have sex in the fertile period of the cycle if your cycle is regular. If the cycle is irregular then have sex on alternate days from day 8 to day 19 of the menstrual cycle.
  9. Have recreational activities as a family.
  10. Quit recreational drug which reduces fertility, increases miscarriage, and fetal anomalies.

I hope this has helped you.

Thanks and regards.

Same symptoms don't mean you have the same problem. Consult a doctor now!

Dr. Uzma Arqam
Dr. Uzma Arqam

Obstetrics and Gynecology

Community Banner Mobile
By subscribing, I agree to iCliniq's Terms & Privacy Policy.

Ask your health query to a doctor online

Obstetrics and Gynecology

*guaranteed answer within 4 hours

Disclaimer: No content published on this website is intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek advice from your physician or other qualified healthcare providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website. Read our Editorial Process to know how we create content for health articles and queries.

This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. iCliniq privacy policy