Q. Can uterine or cervical cancer delay my periods?

Dr. Naresh Kumar Monigari
This is a premium question & answer published on May 15, 2018 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

My period is always regular with an interval of 28 days. I never missed my period before. Now, I am late for five days. Today, I had a little light pink faint discharge when I wipe. I have taken 4 pregnancy tests and all were negative. When I referred online, it says ovarian cancer. I had a baby last year. As I was at high risk, I had an ultrasound once a month. If I had any type of gynecological cancer, why did not show up in any of the 10 to12 ultrasounds. I am so nervous as I have never missed my period unless when I am pregnant. I just want to know if this could be a cancer. I also had some pinkish brown discharge mid-month during ovulation. Is this normal or could this be a cancer? I had my annual laboratory before five months along with thyroid test, but everything was normal. Please explain me.

Dr. Naresh Kumar Monigari

#

I had gone through all the data posted. Do not get worried much as you told your periods were always regular. Just with five days late of periods, it does not mean that you have cancer.

You said there was light pinkish discharge, so which could be spotted and may be a sign of pregnancy. Kindly repeat your urine pregnancy test again after three days. As you said you had done ultrasound abdomen multiple times, which were normal, ovarian cancer will not come up all of a sudden. Kindly tell me how you are high risk for cancer, so that I can advise a genetic screening, which might be helpful.

For further information consult an internal medicine physician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/internal-medicine-physician

| 

I am not at high risk for cancer. I had a high risk pregnancy because I had gestational diabetes and pulmonary embolism in the past. Can cervical or uterine cancer make my period stop? I know for a fact I am not pregnant. I was reading online that some people had ovarian cancer appear and grow aggressive within a few months. I also had some light discharge during my ovulation time. Would doctors have seen any form of uterine or ovarian cancer during pregnancy ultrasounds? Could an aggressive cancer make my period stop? I am so scared. This is not normal for me. I have an ultrasound before a week to make sure everything is right, but I am freaking out.

Dr. Naresh Kumar Monigari

#

I had gone through all the data posted. Sorry, as you have mentioned that you were undergone ultrasound every month, I thought that you have high risk for cancer. I feel you are very much stressed out as you are thinking the rare possibilities first. Kindly answer me some questions.

• Do you smoke? Have you used combined oral contraceptive pills (COCP) before?
  • During what time of your pregnancy did you develop pulmonary embolism? Kindly upload those reports of pulmonary embolism and any specific blood tests done like to rule out hypercoagulable states.

For cervical cancer, to obstruct the blood flow it has to be big enough and most common symptom would be postcoital bleeding (PCB) Nulliparity is a risk factor for breast cancer and multiparity 4 to 5 is a risk factor for cervical cancer. But, both are not present in you. It is normal to have spotting during ovulation time and early months of pregnancy. Without any risk factors, it is highly unlikely that delaying of menses once to think of cancer as a probability.

• Have you done a thyroid test?

As you have already informed me that you are scheduled for a scan, kindly relax and repeat the urine pregnancy test after two days and finish your ultrasound scan. Hope the ultrasound will be normal. Even during pregnancy, the diagnostic accuracy of ultrasound holds and diagnosis of cancer if present can be done. Kindly get back with the answers to my questions, so that I can help you better.

Revert back with answers to the above questions to an internal medicine physician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/internal-medicine-physician

|