Q. I am 13 days late, but all the pregnancy tests came back negative. What could be the cause?

Dr. Sanya Dhingra
This is a premium question & answer published on Sep 25, 2020 and last reviewed on: Sep 30, 2020

I am 21. I am now 13 days late. My periods are usually very consistent and start every 28-29 days. Just after my last period my partner and I had unprotected sex. The following morning I took the morning after pill, and the morning after that we had unprotected sex again. A few days later I experienced some light spotting, I thought this was because of the Plan B pill. As I now haven’t come on I assumed that I was pregnant because I’ve never missed a period but after taking 4 tests they are all coming back negative. I haven’t had any period pains or tender breasts like I usually do before I start my period. And the only time I’ve felt any sort of pain/tenderness was during sex with my partner this week. I’m just confused as to what could be causing this? What’s my best option to take? I’m a little concerned now.

#

Hello.

Greetings from icliniq.

I understand your concern . I would like to tell you that after taking emergency contraceptives , it is possible that your periods may be delayed and irregular . Slight bleeding as you mentioned is also possible . Also the urine pregnancy test is negative , so i would like to advice you to wait for your periods.

Just in case you feel any nausea or morning sickness which you feel is unusual , i would advice you to repeat the urine pregnancy test after 7 days from now if you don’t get periods till then . If still the pregnancy test is negative , you must get an ultrasound of the uterus done .

I hope it helps . Kindly follow up if you have any other queries .

| 

Had an emergency contraceptive pill after sex. Can I be pregnant?

Query: Hi doctor, I am 21 years old and my menstrual cycle is generally of 30 days. Last month I had sex with my boyfriend on just after 2 days of my periods. Though we used condoms but I felt as if it was leaking so to be double sure I took one Unwanted 72 in 23 hours. Now, I am 13 days late for my period...  Read Full »

Though my pregnancy test is negative, I miss my period. What to do now?

Query: Hello doctor, I have missed periods and a negative pregnancy test. Should I wait for another test? I tested three days back. The last LMP date was exactly a month back. This is related to my wife.  Read Full »

Had ECP in the last four months and missed my fifth month period. Why?

Query: Hello doctor, I am 22 years old. And for four months I have had emergency contraceptive pill four times. One in each month after having unprotected sex. I got regular periods for four months after having the medicine. But this is the fifth month in which I have not consumed any pill and still did no...  Read Full »

Vitamin D and COVID-19
Did you know COVID-19 patients with vitamin D deficiency are twice as likely to have severe complications, including dea...  Read more»
The New 'Super-Spreader' Strain of Coronavirus
A new variant of SARS-CoV-2, the virus that causes COVID-19, is spreading fast in parts of the UK. Read how this new var...  Read more»
How to treat my mother's sigmoid colon ulcer?
Hi doctor, My mother, who is 45 years old, has ulcers in the sigmoid colon for the last 15 years. The problem got reduce...  Read more»