Q. I have missed my period for two months. Can I take Regestrone again?

Dr. Makwana Tanvi Ghanshyambhai

My age is 27 years, female, height 5 feet 4 inches and current weight is 76.9 kg. I got my last period two months back, increased 4 kg of weight in last two months. I am not sexually active, unmarried. I have been physically active, do yoga and walking regularly.

Two years ago when the same scenario of irregular periods for about four months happened, I consulted a gynecologist and did thyroid profile and ultrasound scan.

TSH was 5.8, Vit D 21, one 3 mm kidney stone and had one small cyst in ovary then. I was given Regestrone tablets for three days and after getting periods, asked to use Ovral pills two packs and one bottle of Eltroxin 25 mg for regularizing periods.

I was also told that this is the treatment whenever periods go missing, I should repeat the same. So this time with the same situation, I would like to confirm if I can take the Regestrone again?

Also, please suggest vegetarian dietary changes, supplements related to this which solve the issue.

#

After going through your health history it is evident that you are having hypothyroidism and more likely clinical polycystic ovarian syndrome.

In this scenario, irregular menses are very common and in some people also weight gain can occur.

In my opinion, first, you need to regulate your thyroid levels to the optimum level.

Second try to do as much as exercise as you can. It will not only reduce your weight but also regularize your periods.

If you are very much sure that you are not pregnant as you mentioned that you are not sexually active, then take a course of tablet Deviry (Medroxyprogesterone acetate) 10 mg twice a day for five days. It will bring your period.

For more information consult an endocrinologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/endocrinologist

|