Q. Missed my period for 4 months after taking contraceptive pills. Is there any possibility that I am pregnant?

Dr. Monika Meena
This is a premium question & answer published on Jul 26, 2020 and last reviewed on: Aug 18, 2020

I am a 21-year-old female. I have been in a physical relationship with my partner on March 13 of this year. And the very next day, I had a contraceptive pill. After a few days, I got withdrawal bleeding and after a month, I got my menstruation. The problem started after even two months I did not get menstruation. In the month of June, I tested for pregnancy as my belly seems little enlarge and have itching in my stomach. But the result came negative. It is today July 16, I did not gt my periods yet. And may I know if the pregnancy kit works after four months of a sexual relationship?

Dr. Monika Meena

Obstetrics And Gynaecology
#

As far as I can make out, you had contact in March and following that you got periods in April and no periods thereafter. As far as your concern of pregnancy goes, you should not be pregnant if you got full flow normal periods once after intercourse and provided you did not have any sexual contact later, between using just a contraceptive pill post-coitus would not help in preventing pregnancy. You need to be cautious while using these hormonal pills, it might disturb your internal hormonal levels.

Regarding your next question, if pregnancy kit works on 4th month of pregnancy, yes it works, once you are pregnant, levels of beta HCG (human chorionic gonadotropin) are on the rise exponentially in the months to come, so it will be detected on urine pregnancy kit.

Coming to your condition, get a urine pregnancy test, and if it is negative, get progesterone prescribed for yourself to get a withdrawal bleed.

|