Q. My period has been late by 4 days. I am trying to conceive. Please help.

Published on Apr 13, 2016 and last reviewed on: Jan 25, 2020

I am trying to conceive since seven months. I am on medication for the past one month (Dydrogesterone tablets, Pyridoxine hydrochloride and Folic acid). This month I have not yet got my period and it is four days late by today. I just got a light brown drop on third day of missed period and got negative hCG test. Please help.

Infertility Obstetrics And Gynaecology
#

I understand your concern completely here with regards to inability to conceive.

• The fact that you have just missed your menses by four days, usually the urine pregnancy test is not conclusive till eight days post missed periods.
  • Go for a serum beta-hCG test. If it has been done and it show low level of hCG, then you are not pregnant. I presume you are talking about serum beta-hCG test here which is negative.
  • I am not sure if your husband has been investigated for his semen analysis and quality as this is the first thing which should be done.
  • Secondly, it is important to know about your own fertile period, which is the best time for the woman to conceive.
  • Thirdly, it is important to learn whether your menses have been regular, hormonal profile is normal and you are ovulating regularly.
  • So, if you have undergone any tests already, then please send them across for a review.

Revert back with the test results to an obstetrician and gynaecologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/obstetrician-and-gynaecologist

| 

I went for my checkup last month after I had my periods. She said there is nothing to worry since you have regular periods and advised me to try for two to three months. I have a 28 day cycle. I have gone through urine test, HIV test and blood test and all were normal. I went for preganews test and it is negative. I am sending my gynec reports. Please guide.

Infertility Obstetrics And Gynaecology
#

• As your menses was 34 days back, it is actually too early to test for pregnancy. Conclusive result with preganews can be obtained after eight days post missed periods.
  • If your blood and hormone tests have been normal and your cycles are regular then there could be few possibilities:
  1. Cervicitis or infection of cervix, which can be detected on a pap smear test. This if present can destroy the active motile sperms inside vagina after ejaculation.
  2. Your husband's semen analysis report would be necessary to know if he has normal sperm counts and morphology as this is an important factor. So, if he has not got his semen analysis done, then he should get it done.
  • If his reports are also normal, then you can actually opt for intrauterine insemination technique (IUI) which can directly deposit sperms inside your uterus through a canal during your ovulation time if natural intercourse is not fruitful.
  • Ideally, you should follow your fertile period which is for you from day 11 to 20 of your cycle and practice intercourse at higher frequency to increase chance of conception.
  • Lastly, trying for three to four months does not actually qualify you for infertility workup by books, but you can follow the above advice for pap smear and semen analysis.

Revert back after the tests to an obstetrician and gynaecologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/obstetrician-and-gynaecologist

| 

I was advised to get a Pap smear test done. Will it hurt?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 24 year old female in a long-term relationship with a girl. We have both never been in a relationship with anyone else nor had any sexual activity with other people of either gender before. Do I need to get my Pap smear test done? I have recently been to my gynecologist and was...  Read Full »

Please help me interpret my Pap smear reports.

Query: Hello doctor, I had irregular bleeding for eight weeks. Since ten days it is better. Please examine my pap smear report and HPV report. I got it done as there was irregular bleeding. I have PCOD and diabetes. Currently, I am taking Metformin XR 850 mg. Please let me know whether all looks fine.  Read Full »