Q. Took urine pregnancy test on the 1st day of missed periods. Is that right?

Dr. Dattaprasad Balasaheb Inamdar
This is a premium question & answer published on Nov 08, 2016 and last reviewed on: Oct 29, 2020

I have got a very regular 28 day cycle. I got my periods for three days in the last month with a heavy flow. So, my due would be today for this month. But, last three days I got very little bleeding and the color was light watery red and sometimes brownish. I did not have any physiological and systemic disease so far. I took a home pregnancy test on the first day of my missed period that is today, but the result was negative. I also have slight cramps on my lower abdomen. Please advice the reason.

#

• You tested too early with a urine pregnancy test. Please wait for three to four days and then retest if period does not start by then.
  • Urine pregnancy test though theoretically can give correct result on the day of a missed period, practically it is not that sensitive and you need to wait for three or four days extra for beta hCG (human chorionic gonadotropin) to rise enough to be detected by a urine test.
  • Another possibility is a genuine negative pregnancy and impending period causing cramps.
  • It is too early to draw any conclusion and you need to wait for the situation to become clear.

For further information consult an obstetrician and gynaecologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/obstetrician-and-gynaecologist

Will it be better if I check it next week?

My beta hCG values are 5.73 and 5.26. Does it confirm pregnancy?

Query: Hi doctor,I am 38 years old. I did not get my last month period. After 15 days of missed period, my beta hCG value is 5.73. What is the chance of pregnancy? Do I have any issue? Please guide me.  Read Full »

Does my wife's hCG levels indicate a healthy pregnancy?

Query: Hello doctor, My wife is 25 years old and she has PCOD. We are trying to conceive for 2 years. We had done an IUI which failed. We did IVF, but it ended with a chemical pregnancy. Last month, our doctor did Frozen Embryo Transfer (FET). He transferred 2 embryos on that day. We got a positive result...  Read Full »

I had miscarriage and ectopic pregnancy in the last six months. Is it endometriosis?

Query: Hi doctor, I am recently trying to get pregnant and in the past six months, have had a miscarriage and an ectopic pregnancy. I am wondering if there is a chance I have endometriosis. I am wondering this because I have no other risks/causes that could have caused the ectopic. There is no chance I co...  Read Full »

Does CD marker help in identification of blood cancer?
Hi doctor, I am a 25-year-old male suffering from joint pain and pain in the knees. I also have nausea, vomiting, gynec...  Read more»
I suddenly got fainted and woked up with bruising in eyes. Why?
Hi doctor,I am 28 years old with normal weight and following a vegetarian diet. Last month, I fainted at home and my fri...  Read more»