Q. What is the reason for my missed periods, heavy leg cramps, and heavy belly?

Dr. Reetika Joshi

I am a female aged 31 years. I measure 152 cm in height and weigh 47 kg. I have my missed periods. I have heavy leg cramps and a heavy belly. My urine test for pregnancy is negative. Kindly help.

#

I can fully understand your concern and will surely help you. If you are sexually active, then there is a likelihood of pregnancy. I request you to tell me when your last menstrual period was and when you did the pregnancy test. We could do a blood hCG (human chorionic gonadotropin) test if it were one week from your missed periods. Do you have any history of irregular periods or any other health issues?

Do not worry. Kindly share the details as requested to help you better.

My last LMP was before 50 days, and I had my last sexual intercourse one week after my LMP. Before that, also I had sex with my partner. I had irregular periods previously, but over the previous five months, it was regular.

#

I suggest a blood hCG test be done tomorrow if possible for accurate results of pregnancy. Based upon the test outcome, we can decide the future treatment. If a blood hCG test is not possible, please do a urine pregnancy test at home with the first urine of the day. Do not drink excess fluid before the test. Also, adhere to all the guidelines written on the package of kit, especially for the timeline.

Feel free to ask any questions or to share any additional information.

I have done a home urine pregnancy test before three or four days, and it was negative. What are the chances of me being pregnant?

#

Sometimes tests can be negative due to incorrect test procedures. A blood hCG test is done at a diagnostic center or laboratory to give a clear idea about pregnancy, and that is why I suggested it. You being sexually active, there are chances of pregnancy.

Thanks for your reply. I will get a hCG test done.

#

A blood hCG test will be better, and it will give us clarity.

Is it possible to get pregnant if we were having sex just before or just after the periods?

#

There are relatively lesser chances of pregnancy when compared to the ovulation period, but it is not impossible to get pregnant by having sex just before or after your periods.

Thanks for your reply.

#

It is my pleasure to help you. You can revert incase of any future doubts.

Can we have ovulation before six days of periods?

#

We cannot be sure about the ovulation period with a previous history of irregular periods.

Thanks for your reply. I will get my blood tests done and revert to you with the results.

#

Sure, go ahead. You can always ask in case of any future doubts.

|