Q. I have had cramps and brown or slightly red discharge, but no real periods. Why?

Dr. Ashwini Nanasaheb Talpe

I am a 43 year old female. I am thin build and have no health issues. I am a non-smoker and non-drinker. I do not have kids and not sexually active for the past 15 years.

I had my hormone levels checked four months ago. The report showed no menopause and thyroid was fine. My two recent pap smears were also normal. I had a hormonal check as I missed my periods four months ago and since then I have had normal periods.

Again, this time I have had cramps and brown or slightly red discharge, but no real periods. I have had two pelvic ultrasounds. The first one showed hemorrhagic ovarian cyst and this disappeared on the second ultrasound scan. But, the second once showed a cervical polyp. Ovaries were normal and there is no cancer, pcos or endometriosis.

I am going to get the polyp removed after a month through hysteroscopy and D and C. Why have I missed my period? Why do I have cramps and no periods? Why was there brown discharge? Is cervical polyp the reason? My cycle is always 21 to 23 day and today is my 27th day. Please help.

#

This type of missed period could be due to ovarian cyst, which can also cause painful cramps with brownish spotting.

Polyp can also cause pain with brownish spotting. If your hormonal profile is normal, then yes, you will get periods.

Please get LH (luteinizing hormone) and FSH (follicle stimulation hormone) done to understand about delayed period if it reoccurs.

Please share images of ultrasound and get back to an obstetrician and gynaecologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/obstetrician-and-gynaecologist to guide you further.

I am not having an ovarian cyst. It disappeared and only the polyp is still there.

#

Yes, polyp is the cause of spotting. It can give rise to spotting after intercourse and also make sure that this polyp is not infected.

But, polyp cannot delay your periods. It is ovarian cyst or anovulation and stress can cause delayed periods.

You need to take a urine pregnancy test to rule out pregnancy first and followed by medicines to get period.

For further doubts consult an obstetrician and gynaecologist online -->https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/obstetrician-and-gynaecologist

|