Q. I am a mouth breather. Will this cause health problems later?

Dr. Shaikh Sadaf

I am 19. I am partly a mouth breather since childhood. I mean, I breathe through my mouth only while sleeping. Is it harmful? Will I get sleep apnea? I am a thin guy with no snoring issues.

Dr. Shaikh Sadaf

Diabetology Endocrinology
#

I just read your query about mouth breathing.

I would like to say that yes, eventually it causes enlarged tonsils as well as adenoids, and causes a nasal obstruction leading to obstructive sleep apnea. It can happen in any body type.

If your nose is blocked because of nasal polyps or a hypertrophic nasal mucosa leading you to breathe through your mouth, then you must visit an ENT (ear, nose. and throat) specialist to correct the issue.

Hope you find my advice of some benefit. Good luck.

For more information consult a general practitioner online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/general-practitioner

| 

Why is there breathing difficulty in a person with deviated nasal septum?

Query: Hello doctor, I have a deviated nasal septum on the right side of my nose. I also have difficulty in breathing although I have deviated right side septum but still, I face breathing problems in the left side. I also sometimes feel pain on my face but my major problem is that if I use nasal sprays, ...  Read Full »

What is the reason for chest pain after using CPAP?

Query: Hi doctor, I have obstructive sleep apnea and using CPAP for a year. I feel chest pain in the mornings. The same kind of pain is felt whenever I sleep without the mask. My BP, sugar and ECGs were tested before six months back and they were normal. What is the cause and remedy?  Read Full »

Is hearing the breathing sounds while exhaling normal?

Query: Hi doctor, I have a small question about exhaling breath sounds. I always listen to my body and make sure everything is as it should. I have mild ETD, which makes my nose a little stuffy when in dry environments or the humidity is low. Two weeks ago, I was to hiatal hernia surgery. They did check my...  Read Full »

Ask a General Practitioner Now