Q. I am a mouth breather. Will this cause health problems later?

Dr. Shaikh Sadaf

I am 19. I am partly a mouth breather since childhood. I mean, I breathe through my mouth only while sleeping. Is it harmful? Will I get sleep apnea? I am a thin guy with no snoring issues.

#

I just read your query about mouth breathing.

I would like to say that yes, eventually it causes enlarged tonsils as well as adenoids, and causes a nasal obstruction leading to obstructive sleep apnea. It can happen in any body type.

If your nose is blocked because of nasal polyps or a hypertrophic nasal mucosa leading you to breathe through your mouth, then you must visit an ENT (ear, nose. and throat) specialist to correct the issue.

Hope you find my advice of some benefit. Good luck.

For more information consult a general practitioner online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/general-practitioner

|