Q. Kindly help me interpret my father-in-law's MRI reports taken following an accident.

Dr. Hitesh Kumar

My father-in-law had a motorcycle accident two days ago and has injuries all over his body. He had his CT done today. I am attaching his report with this query. Kindly help me interpret it.

#

• I have seen your reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity). The MRI brain report of your father-in-law is suggestive of a soft tissue injury on the right side of the head. But, there is no evidence of injury or bleeding inside the brain.
  • I would like to know some details:
  1. Did he become unconscious during the time of the accident?
  2. Did he have any seizures at or after the time of the accident?
  3. Does he have weakness or numbness of any limb?

Revert with the above-mentioned information for a better understanding and judgment. Meanwhile, I suggest consulting a surgeon for wound care on the right side of the head.

Revert with more information to a neurologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/neurologist

Thanks for replying. He did become unconscious right after the accident and could not recall anything at that moment. He regained his consciousness when the doctors were still putting on his bandage.

#

• The probable causes for losing consciousness after an injury could be:
  1. Transient global amnesia.
  2. Seizure.
  • Was anyone with him, who witnessed the accident and observed him the whole time? If yes, did he/she notice any seizure?
  • I suggest getting an EEG done.
  • And, it may be appropriate to give him antiepileptic medicines for three to six months, just on the basis of the suspicion of a seizure. You can discuss it with your treating doctor.

For more information consult a neurologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/neurologist

|