Q. Why do I have swelling and pain in the knee. Please explain my MRI.

Dr. Vivek Chail

I have severe pain and swelling in the back side of the right knee. My MRI was inconclusive. Please explain.

#

I viewed the MRI of you knee (attachment removed to protect patient identity) and there are suspicious mild thinning of the articular cartilage in the bones of the knee and minimal fluid in the knee joint area. These changes are slight and not likely to cause any severe pain in the knee. The other causes of a severe pain surrounding the knee at your age can be due to changes in the blood flow in the arteries and veins.

You may discuss with your doctors and get a right lower limb arterial and venous doppler test done. This will tell if there is any block in the vessels or a clot causing the pain. This kind of pain is felt in the muscles and soft tissues of the leg.

|