Q. I have a skin rash, dry eyes, and fatigue. Is this due to black fungus?

Dr. Bn Bhagat
and medically reviewed by Dr. Sushrutha Muralidharan

I have a skin rash, fatigue, and dry eyes. I suspect black fungus. Is it possible to have it if you are a healthy person? And if so, what test should I undergo to check? And can this disease transmit through clothes? I am not under any medication. I got a blood test and thyroid test, all healthy. Kindly give your opinion.

#

Black fungus or mucormycosis is the opportunistic fungi that occur most commonly in the following patients:

1) Diabetes.

2) Neutropenia or on glucocorticoids treatment.

3) Iron overload conditions.

4) Malignancy.

5) Hematopoietic stem cell transplantation (HSCT).

6) Recent severe COVID-19 patient who got treatment with steroids during illness.

It can occur in immunologically normal individuals after traumatic implantation of soil or vegetation. It is a ubiquitous environmental fungus to which humans are constantly exposed but do not get the disease because they are normal immunocompetent individuals. It is a rare but fatal disease, and treatment should be started based on the clinical judgment by the doctor before awaiting the confirmation of diagnosis.

Mucormycosis is not a contagious disease. It cannot be spread from one person to another via clothing, etc. It spreads via spores present in the environment, which can be inhaled and then infect lungs, sinuses, and via the bloodstream to other organs of the body.

A probable diagnosis is made by culture or histopathological evidence on the samples.

It has the following manifestation:

1) Rhino-orbital-cerebral disease.

2) Pulmonary disease.

3) Cutaneous disease.

4) Gastrointestinal disease.

5) Disseminated and other miscellaneous forms.

Imaging modalities like CT (computed tomography) and MRI (magnetic resonance imaging) help in knowing the disease extent. Biopsy from the affected tissue gives a probable diagnosis. Kindly visit a local doctor to assess your symptoms and guidance and treatment accordingly. There should not be any delay in visiting the doctor. If symptoms are related to it, the doctor will guide urgent CT or MRI, and treatment would be started at the earliest.

I hope this was helpful.

|