Q. My mother is having mutiple myeloma. Will allogeneic transplantation help her?

Dr. Smrita Singh
Published on Oct 26, 2018

Recently, my mother is diagnosed with multiple myeloma. She had a fast progression. Within a year, the plasmacytoma has progressed to MGUS which resulted in multiple myeloma with severe bone involvement. She got a heart attack at the onset of multiple myeloma. I know that deletion of 17p and mutations of TP53 are associated with worse prognosis.

My mother has not undergone cytogenetic testing. My two sons carry a germline (not somatic) deletion of seven genes on 17p13.2. This deletion does not include TP53, but it includes MYBBP1A which is known to regulate TP53 and deletion. It is implicated in some cancers. If my mother has this deletion, what will be her treatment? She is getting ideal treatment for 17p deletion. She takes Velcade, Revlimid, and Dex with Zometa. Germline mutation makes an autologous transplant less likely to help. Can allogeneic transplantation help her? What does a germline mutation mean?

Dr. Smrita Singh

Hematology Pathology
#

The advantage of allogeneic stem cell transplant is that the donor stem cells make their own immune cells. They help to destroy the cancer cells that remain after high-dose treatment. It is called as a graft-versus-cancer effect. Autologous stem cell transplant does not offer the benefits of graft versus tumor (GVL) effect when healthy donor cells attack cancer cells, and they do not carry the risk of transplantation rejection due to graft versus host reaction.

They are relatively safe procedures, with low rates of complications and infections compared with allogeneic transplants. Deaths due to the transplant are approximately 2 % to 3 % in patients with newly diagnosed myeloma. In theory, one disadvantage of autologous stem cell transplant is that the transplant can potentially get contaminated with tumor cells when patient stem cells are used. However, recent studies indicate that this is not a significant problem and it is not a significant cause of myeloma relapse.

What is the best treatment for Burkitt's lymphoma?

Query: Hi doctor, My 60 year old uncle is diagnosed with Burkitt's lymphoma. His report says MYC-IGH fusion signal was detected in 45 % of the cells. The sample is positive for t(8;14). Could you please suggest whether it is curable and if it is curable then what is the best treatment?  Read Full »

My ESR is too high. Do you think I have multiple myeloma?

Query: Hi doctor, My ESR is too high that is 25 mm/hr. Granulocytes % is high and lymphocytes % is low. The main thing is the RDW is low. I am having too much body pain and leg pain in my body. Even pain-killers not working at all. Too much pain. I am having trouble to move my arms and legs when I wake up...  Read Full »

Does raised kappa level indicate multiple myeloma?

Query: Hi doctor, I have been diagnosed with CKD, and my GFR is 52. My recent blood test results show the following information. Kappa QNT free LT chains 41.60 mg/dL, lambda QNT free LT chains 0.96 mg/dL, KAP/LAM free LT chain ratio 43.33 and hemoglobin 15.8 g/dL. I was also detected with vitamin D deficie...  Read Full »

Ask a Hematologist Now