Q. How can you live with multiple sclerosis?

Dr. Florilyn Joyce Chulsi Bentrez

I am a 24-year-old married woman. I have symptoms of a tingling foot. I stay back in the shower for a long time, and I wear a sundress on a beautiful spring day to work. I wake up earlier than required. I get the pin and needle sensation in my legs (tingling sensation) too often, and it hurts. So I reached the nearby doctor, who referred me to a neurologist, and that was weird to me as I had consulted for a different complaint not related to the brain. I could not lift my leg when the neurologist examined me, and I fell, so he asked me to get an MRI. The technical team asked me about my MS status during the test, and I said I did not know. And after the test results, I was diagnosed with MS with initial numbness after months. I could not handle it, and I got anxious, and I am unable to eat now. My husband and I got fought because of my stress, and he wanted me to go to a psychiatrist. The spinal laboratory test confirmed the MS. My questions are:

1) Is this a lifelong condition?

2) Can I be normal again?

3) If yes, how should I cope with living with it? Because I am anxious and unable to be positive as before.

4) Can I get pregnant and have a baby?

5) Will it affect my baby too?

6) Are there any dietary changes that I should follow?

#

I can understand your concern. I see that you are diagnosed with multiple sclerosis (MS). The course of the disease will tell the pattern of the MS. It can go away and come back once triggered. Treatments are offered to speed recovery and modify the course. You can still get pregnant, but please go to your obstetrician (OB) for guidance, especially when on medications. It may not be lifelong. However, there can be long periods of remission or symptom-free state. Thank you.

|