Q. What can be done for the muscle pain in leg caused due to yoga?

Dr. Basuki Nath Bhagat
This is a premium question & answer published on Dec 20, 2021 and last reviewed on: Oct 13, 2022

I have been feeling some muscle contraction and pain in my right leg (knee to foot portion) for more than a month. I used to do yoga before this issue, but now I have stopped yoga, and I do a morning walk for 45 minutes. When I am in a resting position like sitting or sleeping, I do not have any pain or muscle contraction. But when I stand after sitting for a long time, the muscle contracts and I feel the pain, and I am not able to stretch or bend the leg completely, and there is a consistent pain in sole of my right leg below the thumb portion. I am under medication for hyperthyroidism and hyperuricemia.

Kindly help.

Thanks.

#

Thanks for writing in, and I understand your concern. The pain in the leg, mainly in calf muscles, can be due to the undue stretching of muscle while practicing yoga exercises. It could be a muscle strain. Consistent pain below the right great toe can be due to uric acid. Have you taken any pain reliever for the above problem? Have you done any lab tests for uric acid recently? Do you have any allergies to any medication? As of now, I suggest you take the following medications (if you have allergy to any medicine mentioned below, kindly do not take it and let me know);

1. Tablet Diclofenac 100 mg SR after food once a day for three to five days. It will help in relieving pain in the leg and great toe.
  2. Tablet Pantoprazole 40 mg on an empty stomach once a day if you have a gas problem.
  3. Check the latest serum level of uric acid.
  4. Do exercise or physical therapy for the leg to relieve pain. Be careful; it should not make the pain worse.
  5. Prevent or limit the activity that causes pain in the leg muscles like prolonged sitting or any other physical activity.

I hope you find my reply helpful.

|