Q. I am suffering from muscle pain near my chest. Please help.

Dr. Divya Agarwal
and medically reviewed by Nithila A
Published on Oct 05, 2019

I have muscle pain near the chest. I am having muscle pain near the chest from the last two to three months. I have done all the cardiac tests, and it is fine, then I consulted a rheumatologist, and she suggested some tests and medicine. It has been a month, and I am still having some pain.

Dr. Divya Agarwal

Rheumatology
#

You are right, and you have peripheral arthritis due to HLA-B27 positive. Your chest pain is due to enthesitis, and please feel free to query me in this regard. If your HLA-B27 positive by PCR (polymerization chain reaction), because that is a condition which can give rise to pain in the chest.

I have not done a PCR test. What medicine should I take? And is it something very serious?

Dr. Divya Agarwal

Rheumatology
#

As you are describing, you have muscle pain, and there are some types of arthritis called spondyloarthritis which can produce pain and tenderness in entheses of the chest. So it is essential first to confirm whether this is the cause of your pain. This pain generally gets reduced by taking NSAIDs like Diclofenac or Naproxen. In severe cases, DMARDs (disease-modifying antirheumatic drugs), steroids, or biological medication is used. This depends on the severity of the disease. So HLA-B27 report is required to confirm the diagnosis. It is not severe. However, it is a troublesome disease.

Is negative RNA PCR test on day 12 a conclusive one?

Query: Hi doctor, A month ago, I had unprotected oral sex with a CSW. On 4th day, I had severe headache and it lasted for five days and I had shaft tip pain for a day. On day 12, I had RNA PCR test and it came back negative. Also, on 12th day I carried CIMA antibody test and that too came back negative. ...  Read Full »

I am getting some pulling pain under my ribs and back. What could it be?

Query: Hello doctor,For the past two days, I am getting the pain under my right rib cage slightly under the chest and even back under the shoulder. It does not pain usually, but the pain remains there. But when I am laughing, it hurts like something is pulling, and the pain increases. What could it be and ...  Read Full »

Can HLA B27 positve male with ankylosing spondylitis affect his children?

Query: Hello doctor, I am 26 years, I had a hip resurfacing surgery eight years back. I am an HLA B27 positive, even my father is also positive. I have joint pain since last fourteen years. Now, I wish to know that, if I marry and have children will this pass on to them? What measures should I take to ens...  Read Full »

Ask a Rheumatologist Now