Q. What is the cause and treatment for hypopigmented mycosis fungoides?

Dr. Charu Bansal
This is a premium question & answer published on Aug 27, 2020 and last reviewed on: Apr 09, 2022

A 9-year-old girl's biopsy report reads like this. I would like to know the cause and treatment.

Biopsy shows sparse superficial perivascular infiltrate of lymphocytes. The epidermis shows slight psoriasiform hyperplasia and infiltration by numerous small and large lymphocytes without much spongiosis. Several lymphocytes are aligned along the basal layer in a toy soldier pattern. There is no granuloma, nor is there any infiltrate around arrector pilorum muscles or nerves. Impression- Hypopigmented mycosis fungoides (patch stage).

#

Mycosis fungoides is a type of cutaneous T-cell lymphoma, meaning abnormal proliferation of T cells in our skin. As such, there is no well definite cause. An interplay of various factors causes it. There are aberrations in the chromosomes triggered by a persistent antigen due to an infection or environmental factor. And treatment is based on the stage or extent of the disease. The patch stage is the initial stage of presentation. For the localized disease, various options are available like surgical removal of the lesions, intralesional injections of steroids or topical steroids, or phototherapy. But I will advise you to consult your dermatologist and take regular treatment under supervision. Thanks.

|