Q. I am diagnosed with NPD and ASPD. How to get it treated?

Dr. Ruhi Satija

I am dangerously sadistic. I enjoy it when others are suffering in any form, from stubbed toes to life-threatening injuries and torture. I have been diagnosed with NPD, though with traits from ASPD. The research on how treatable this kind of thing seems pretty inconclusive. Where do I go from here?

#

First of all, I have to appreciate you for asking this question. It takes a huge amount of courage to question ourselves, and especially in cases of NPD (narcissistic personality disorder) and ASPD (antisocial personality disorder). Where the individual lacks the insight of his issues and often only sees problems in others.

Personality disorder, in general, is a difficult entity to be treated, but continuous long term therapy (cognitive behavior therapy) and psychotherapy help wonderfully in stabilizing if not curing completely. Instead of working on changing yourself, you should focus on managing your thought patterns and behavior. The good thing in your case is that you already have some level of awareness, which would help you out. So I would suggest starting therapy as soon as possible. Also, I want to know if you are taking any meds currently? You can follow-up with the same doctor as keep your medicines on track. I hope this helps. I would need more information to help you better and in specific ways which work for you. Let me know if you have any questions.

|