Q. Doctors ruled out problems in my nose for nasal congestion. Will impacted wisdom tooth cause it?

Dr. Krishna Swaroop Achanta

My age is 25, my height is six feet, and my weight is 72 kg. I have nasal congestion feeling from the age of 20. Sinus surgery was done two years ago. ENT doctors have ruled out that there is no problem in the nose Area. I have four impacted wisdom teeth, unerupted. The upper teeth are hooked and dipped in the maxillary sinus, as per the X-ray and CBCT report. Will the wisdom teeth cause my feeling of nasal congestion and pressure in the maxillary sinus area. I have attached the reports for your reference. Kindly help me.

#

As per your radiology report, I have studied (attachments removed to protect the patient's identity) I believe it is not because of the impacted maxillary teeth. A presence of an antral polyp causes obstructions of the nasal passage. An antral polyp is the usual main presenting cause of sinus congestion or nasal congestion. So it might be useful for you if you specifically undergo a CBCT (cone-beam computed tomography) for the maxillary sinus region of the whole upper jaw. So you can visualize the defects, if any, in the current period. You can adopt temporary measures like steam inhalation every day and meditation or pranayama exercises that boost the nasal immunity for nasal congestion. However, if the nasal congestion is troubling you in the long run, then diagnosis through CBCT is mandatory. If the CBCT report shows the presence of the antral polyp, then endoscopic sinus surgery is a form of sinus surgery that is useful for the elimination of the polyp. Unless the polyp is huge, maxillary full sinus surgery will not usually be recommended. I hope this was helpful.

|