Q. I get negative thoughts periodically. Is this a mental illness?

Dr. Lisa Barros Mascarenhas
Published on Sep 17, 2017

I am having repeated thoughts in my head from the last four months. This problem started at the age of 13, but on a periodic basis like three to six months. After that, it becomes normal. When I am in this phase, I have scary thoughts, feel like mind is racing, have wavering thoughts and I feel that I am actually in that situation, talking inside my head, and solving a situation which my mind has created. I cannot enjoy the present. I feel stuck with this mental condition. Generally, I avoid some kinds of situations and people, because I feel that if I go to some places or deal with some types of persons, then I might face negative thoughts. I do not know what this is called. Is this some kind of disorder or mental illness? Is this a rare or common issue? Please guide me on this problem. Waiting for your answer.

#

I wish to ask a few questions about it to clarify things.

1. After how long does this episode recur?
  2. What is the content of your thoughts? Examples would be better.
  3. During the episodes: a) Do you get normal or less sleep? b) Do you feel very happy or angry? c) Do you like to buy new stuff?
  4. How is your mood these days?
  5. Besides those days, do you feel low for long periods of time like more than two weeks continuously throughout the day?

Revert with more information to a psychiatrist online --> https://icliniq.com./ask-a-doctor-online/psychiatrist

Hello doctor,

Thanks for your interest in my case. This episode has come after two to three years and has lasted six months. I would like to give a few examples of my thoughts. One of the repetitive thoughts is that if I go on a vacation, I will lose my wallet or all other belongings and get stuck at that place. I cannot get back home on time. Another one is about my business. If I dealt with a particular person and did not complete that order, I get thoughts about being stuck with the problem for a long time. The thoughts become deeper and get to the micro level. During the episode, sleep is usually normal, but sometimes it is less, I feel angry and do not like to buy new stuff. Of late, I want to live alone and do not want to talk with new people. On some days, these feelings continue throughout the day. Sometimes, I feel them early in the morning or after sunset. I am scared.

#

Welcome back to icliniq.

• Thank you for clarifying things. You could be suffering from mild depression.
  • My sincere advice would be:
  1. Consult a psychiatrist for counseling and take medication after a proper assessment.
  2. Start keeping a daily journal and pen down your thoughts.
  3. Do some breathing exercise daily like pranayama and Yoga. It helps release happy hormones in our body.

I hope I could clarify your doubts.

For more information consult a psychiatrist online --> https://icliniq.com./ask-a-doctor-online/psychiatrist

Postpartum Depression

Article Overview: Postpartum depression (PPD) or postnatal depression is a kind of depression that affects a new mother. 80 % of all new moms experience baby blues, but if the symptoms are severe and it starts affecting your ability to care for your baby, then it is a sign of postpartum depression. Read Article

Dr. K Sneha

Postpartum Depression Postpartum depression (PPD) or postnatal depression is a kind of depression that affects a new mother. 80 % of all new moms experience baby blues, but if the symptoms are severe and it starts affecting your ability to care for your baby, then it is a sign of postpartum depress...  Read Article

Depression - Awareness, Self-Diagnosis, and Treatment Modalities

Article Overview: Depression is among the top five causes of morbidity in today’s world. It remains largely undiagnosed and underreported because of a lack of adequate knowledge, both among the patients as well as the physicians. It is majorly characterized by the presence of a continuous sad mood, anhedonia, and easy fatiguability along with a host of secondary symptoms, which aid in quantifying the severity of the depressive disorder. So, it is the need of the hour that awareness is raised among the masses regarding this illness that is soon poised to be the number one cause of morbidity. Read Article

Dr. Ajay Singh

Depression has been recorded in the annals of history since time immemorial, but never has it assumed so much significance as it has in today’s world. With the advent of technology today, the human society is evolving by leaps and bounds with every passing day. As the saying goes that every coin h...  Read Article

How to cope when a sibling is seriously ill?

Query: Hi doctor, I have a brother who is sick since a month. I am feeling very helpless without him and I am deprived of sleep. I keep thinking about him the whole day. How can I overcome this situation?  Read Full >>

Dr. Arooj Najmussaqib
Psychologist Counsellor

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. The pain of near ones makes you feel helpless. This weakens your strength somehow. Symptoms like lack of sleep, disturbance, and tension occur when you feel stressed for any reason. But you have to be strong for your brother. If you feel low, he will become worse and ...  Read Full