Q. Baby was recommended to take Eltroxin for three years. What do you suggest?

Respected doctor,

My baby was born on 5th at the 36th week of pregnancy. Then he was admitted to NICU as signs of jaundice were seen and discharged on 8th. Then again on 11th, he was again admitted to NICU because of jaundice. Then on 12th (8th day) the doctor did a test of TSH, T3, and T4 (report is attached) where TSH was found 10.87 uIu/ml (report attached) and low T3. Thereafter, the doctor recommended a dosage of Eltroxin of 25 mcg for three years of life due to suspected hypothyroidism and advised us to repeat TSH level after three years and hence we have started giving the 25 mcg dosage to the baby since 12th. Meanwhile, we again tested for TSH, T3, and T4 (report is attached) on 28th. The TSH came out less than 0.05 ulu/ml. Kindly advise whether we stop the dosage of Eltroxin (25 mcg) or lower the dosage.

#

I suppose there is some miscommunication or misunderstanding. We never recommend a continuous dosage of Levothyroxine for three years without checking the levels periodically.

So, what is usually done is that we repeat thyroid profile three monthly and adjust the dosage.

However, the current scenario warrants stopping the drug for a few weeks till the level comes within the normal range. Once the level falls within the normal range we keep on monitoring the levels. If they increase, we start Levothyroxine again and adjust the dosage three-monthly based on TSH levels.

I hope it helps you.

For more information consult an internal medicine physician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/internal-medicine-physician

Our consulting doc said, continue this medicine as it will have no side effect. Otherwise, a higher level of TSH may affect the brain development as brain development is maximum in starting two years. Kindly guide whether we stop giving Eltroxin and if we stop the dosage, after how many weeks do we repeat the TSH test?

#

I suggest you stop Eltroxin for four weeks and get a repeat TSH level done.

Please share my opinion with your doctor.

|