Q. Am I stuck with my curled fingers?

Dr. Lokesh
This is a premium question & answer published on May 29, 2016 and last reviewed on: Mar 21, 2020

I had carpal tunnel, radial and ulnar nerve surgery. A tumor was removed from my elbow on the ulnar nerve. Then my two little fingers have no feeling and are completely curled in along with my thumb. For this my surgeon advised nerve transplant surgery. When I went for second opinion, nothing abnormal with nerve conduction test, EMG test and MRI. Now my surgeon has changed his opinion to electronic shock therapy. It has to be done three times a week for six weeks. Also, he is not sure about the outcome. I have constant pain, burning, tingling and sometimes swelling in my elbow and hand. It affects my daily life activities as well as my job. My surgeon also said that my arm muscles are weak to go for surgery. What shall I do? Is there anything to do with this issue? Or am I stuck with my curled fingers?

Dr. Lokesh

Orthopedics And Traumatology Spine Health Spine Surgery
#

• Getting a tumor removed off the ulnar nerve from the elbow will take at least six months for the nerve to regenerate the sensations till down your little finger.
  • Getting tingling and burning sensations are good as this is a sign of nerve regeneration.
  • You should take medications to help your nerve regenerate. Medicines like vitamin B12 and Pregabalin will help. Vitamin C medicines of 500 mg twice a day will also help.
  • The important thing from your side as a patient is to keep the fingers supple, massage it and move it every day.
  • Do not allow for contractures to develop. You can wear a capener splint for ring and little finger or a thumb spica splint for short durations intermittently throughout the day and while sleeping. You can also try a reverse knuckle bender splint.
  • The shock therapy is a good option to help your nerve regenerate and keep muscle contraction to occur.
  • The important thing is that no one can guarantee about nerve regeneration.
  • If it does not regenerate then there are muscle transfer options available. For that we need to see which muscles are functioning and then transfer those muscles based on your daily needs.
  • It is really a slow process and sometimes, it can take two to three years also.
  • Muscle transfer is a good option. Once it is confirmed that the nerve has stopped regenerating or it can also be complemented now. But, that requires a thorough examination of each muscle of the forearm and hand before advising anything.
  • Muscle lengthening is another option to help straighten your finger, but the muscles need to be functioning for this surgery.

Bracing and splinting.

Revert back after three months to an orthopaedician and traumatologist online.---> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/orthopaedician-and-traumatologist

| 

Sorry, I have not mentioned the clear history. It has been three years now since I have had ulnar nerve surgery and six months since I have had radial nerve surgery. I have completed eight weeks of physical therapy and the therapist has also recommended nerve transfer surgery. I have been wearing a splint for my fingers and hand for the past six months. My surgeon now says that the muscles are too weak for transfer surgery. What would make my muscles so weak if there was not a problem? Why do not any of the tests show there is a problem? I feel like I have lost everything. Please help.

Dr. Lokesh

#

• Even if the muscles of the forearm are weak and eventually do not develop then there is always an option of a free muscle transfer from your leg. So, do not worry.
  • We should first try to develop the muscles of the forearm.
  • If not possible then a free muscle from your leg can be used to get the movements of your hand back.
  • This option will always be available and do not think that all is lost.

For further information consult an orthopaedician and traumatologist online -->https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/orthopaedician-and-traumatologist

| 

I have numbing, tingling, and muscle twitching. What might help me?

Query: Hello doctor, About a month ago, I developed what I thought was a pinched nerve in my neck. I had numbing and tingling in my left arm and my hand would go numb while sleeping. However, over the next couple weeks the numbing, tingling, moved to my right arm then my legs and feet to include muscle tw...  Read Full »

What vitamin deficiency causes muscle twitching?

Query: Hi doctor, For about 10 days, I have muscle twitching in my calf, thighs and also in my eyes. I am worried about it. I got my blood test done. It showed that I have a severe vitamin B12 and vitamin D deficiency. My vitamin B12 was around 50 ng/L. Can these deficiencies be the cause for having muscl...  Read Full »

Why do I have pain in leg on moving my foot up and down?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 19-year-old male. I was playing basketball with my friend and his knee went hard into the lower outside of my lower left calf. After that, it began to hurt and now it has been about six hours and I struggle to put weight on it. It sends pain down into my foot and ankle and movi...  Read Full »

Ask an Orthopaedician & Traumatologist Now