Q. What will be the prognosis of nerve regeneration after a surgery in a 10-year-old?

Answered by Dr. Gerry Mike and medically reviewed by Dr. Nithila A

Do you have a question on Nerve Regeneration or Numbness? We have medical experts to help you right away. Ask a Doctor Now »

I am looking forward to have advice about the outcome or prognosis of nerve regeneration and repair for my son. Before 13 days, my 10 years old son fell with a bottle in his right-hand palm and had his palm triangle open. As we were in another place, the local surgeon cleaned the injury, and I took him to another place where he undertook a surgery before 10 days of nerve repair of the proper ulnar digital nerve of the median nerve. I do not know if it is the exact term, but the nerve cut was the one at the root of the index, and that goes on the inner side (facing the 3rd).

Would you please advice me about the outcome of this surgery? Is this nerve responsible for some functional disabilities of the Index? Is it only sensitive? Can he flex his index and use it usually afterward? No other tissues were cut, like tendon.