Q. What will be the prognosis of nerve regeneration after a surgery in a 10-year-old?

Dr. Gerry Mike
Published on Jun 18, 2019

I am looking forward to have advice about the outcome or prognosis of nerve regeneration and repair for my son. Before 13 days, my 10 years old son fell with a bottle in his right-hand palm and had his palm triangle open. As we were in another place, the local surgeon cleaned the injury, and I took him to another place where he undertook a surgery before 10 days of nerve repair of the proper ulnar digital nerve of the median nerve. I do not know if it is the exact term, but the nerve cut was the one at the root of the index, and that goes on the inner side (facing the 3rd).

Would you please advice me about the outcome of this surgery? Is this nerve responsible for some functional disabilities of the Index? Is it only sensitive? Can he flex his index and use it usually afterward? No other tissues were cut, like tendon.

Dr. Gerry Mike

Neuro Surgery
#

I have read your concern. Can you give me more of the details of the surgery if you can still remember? How was it repaired as what you have told by your doctor? How is the finger at this moment (can he flex? can he feel anything at the tip of the finger?) I am hoping for your reply.

| 

The doctor told me that he joined the two ends of the nerve with suture using a microscope. He said that there is a little tension as he had to cut the nerve edges a little bit. He did not need to do graft as it was a clear cut. The day after the operation, the doctor did not recommend a splint and asked my son to pay attention and flex the hand excessively. He said that he wanted the palm injury to gain flexibility if the splint is not used. As for the finger, before the operation, my son could flex it, touch the thumb but did not and still do not feel the tip of it mainly on the inner part. He experienced numbness and tingling before the operation.

Dr. Gerry Mike

Neuro Surgery
#

Regarding the advice given to you by your doctor, all should you follow exactly, and I would advise you the same. The good thing about nerves is they regenerate and regain their full function once they are coated. The surgical anastomosis of the nerves done to your son was the best thing for the situation. The timing of the repair is optimal. What he feels up to this point is just normal because the nerves are still regenerating. Tingling sensations are signs of regeneration, give it a little more time three to six weeks from the injury, and he should be fine.

| 

Can Metrogyl cause tingling sensation in hands and feet?

Query: Hello doctor, I took the antibiotic Metrogyl for a bacterial vaginosis infection. It was a 7-day course which I completed four days back. Since then, I have had a tingling sensation in my hands and feet and a sort of achy numbness in my arms and legs. I had a blood test a week ago for something els...  Read Full »

I have a tingling sensation in my muscle. Please help.

Query: Hi doctor, Over the last few months, I am experiencing some tingling kind of sensation in muscles on a specific area below the left breast near the rib. I would like to know what it is and the cause for it. I am having that sensation mostly in the evening.  Read Full »

Why is there numbness with tingling sensation in my right hand ring finger?

Query: Hi doctor, Before a month, I carried heavy grocery bags and after that my right-hand ring finger got numb with a tingling sensation. It is persistent for the past one month.  Read Full »

Ask a Neuro Surgeon Now