Q. I am experiencing a lot of neurological and other symptoms. What is happening to me?

Dr. Aida Quka
Gender: Male
Age: 21
Height: 5 ft 5 inches
Weight: 112lbs
Symptoms in chronological order:
1. Extreme fatigue for days.
2. Unbearable pressure in the head, including behind the eyes(along with pain) and in the ears(my head felt like it was going to explode).
3.Neck stiffness(complete inability to move my head in any direction), this lasted for around 40 minutes.
4. Adverse reaction after eating full meals (pressure build up through chest and left side of neck up to head, this was mainly left sided), this would last for hours. The left side of my neck felt like it was gonna burst open. After one adverse reaction i was unable to move my left arm for about a half hour(i could feel what felt like the hindering of my heart beat, it was very slow).
5.Breathing was a struggle before being hospitalized, my lungs felt heavy.
6.Shivers and shaking.
7.Any exercise (even slight) resulted in shortness of breath and chest pain for hours.
8. Gastro-intestinal issues, being extremely gassy. What felt like acid buildup that at times would come up to my back and chest.
9. Remember what felt like an intense heat (felt like my whole head was cooking).
10. Headaches of 4 types;
An occasional kind of spacing out like i'm under water, everything just feels so slow. Brain Fog.
type 1: A headache or something that i can only describe as an unbearable head pain(every time it happened i accepted my death), my body would go completely limp(i could only slump in the spot i was whenever it occurred.
type 2: Confusion and what i'd call light thoughts. Made me very uncomfortable, could not complete a single task in any intended order.
type 3: A headache that was like someone torching my head, would last for hours(this headache radiated from the back of my neck and up into the middle of my head).
type 4: It felt as though someone had cupped their hands around my brain, an intense pressure(i remember just wishing someone would bore a hole in my head to ease the pressure). Generally feeling like my head was gonna blow up.
11. Nerve issues (coldness and tingling in my hands and feet), noticed blurry vision at this point.
12. Occasional muscle spasms (spasms of my neck muscles got so bad it straightened my cervical spine).
13. Occasional loss of ability to walk properly or walk at all if unaided.
14. Occasional unresponsiveness to questions (i can hear but i can’t answer), full body numbness.
15. Extreme anxiety and depression.
16. Constant headache, ear pain and occasional chest pains (center of chest).
17. Joint pain especially in legs.
18. Everyday i wake now i just feel very unwell (i have been unable to go back to my studies in Actuarial Science). I just don't know what is happening to me :(

I'm truly sorry, i know it's allot but i really would just like to know what is happening. Peace of mind would help even if there is no real assistance i can get i just want to know the source of my pain and suffering, it's been 3 months+ now.
More details about the presenting complaint:
Sudden onset on December 26th after eating then exercise(was breathless for about 2 hours).

Previous history of the same issue:
None.

Current medications:
Fourts B Capsules and Panadeine

Past medications of the same issue:
Augmentin(7 days), Relcer Gel, Otrivina(Had a weird reaction to this), Fexil(Had a weird reaction to this), Calcort, Another Antibiotic(got this on 2 separate occasions), Cetamol Cold and Flu(Had a weird reaction to this), Vitamin C, Avamys, Lanzaparazole and Panto-Denk.

Lab tests performed:
CBCs, Liver Function Tests, AutoAntibodies, H-Pylori, Cortisol (Urine and Serum), 5-Hydroxyindoleacitic Acid, Creatine Kinase, Bun and Urea, Electrolytes etc.

Dr. Aida Quka

Neurology
# Hello!

Welcome to icliniq!

I read carefully your question and reviewed your test reports and would explain that your blood lab tests are unremarkable, besides for low white blood count, which seems to be related to a viral infection in February.

Regarding your complaints, I would exclude any metabolic disorders, based also on your performed blood lab tests.

I would just recommend checking vitamin D levels for possible deficiency, considering the borderline phosphorus levels.

I would also recommend performing a brain MRI in order to investigate for possible MS, which could mimic this clinical situation.

Regarding the gastro-intestinal symptoms, they go in favor of acid reflux or irritable bowel syndrome. I would recommend avoiding spicy food and large meals and try to eat more often in small portions. I think that an antiacid would help too.

The headaches that you describe, go in favor of tension type headache, which is usually related to a wrong posture and psychological stress.

I would also recommend checking blood test for Lyme disease, which is a chronic infection that can mimic this situation.

Are you feeling hopeless lately? Depression and anxiety could mimic this clinical situation. If all the above tests result normal, I would recommend consulting with a psychotherapist.

Hope to have been helpful!

I remain at your disposal for any further questions whenever you need!

Kind regards,

Dr. Aida

|