Q. Should I take Rituximab for neuropathy?

Answered by
Dr. J. Mariano Anto Bruno Mascarenhas
and medically reviewed by iCliniq medical review team.
This is a premium question & answer published on Jul 12, 2016 and last reviewed on: May 27, 2020

Hi doctor,

I am 24 years old. I am suffering from a neurological disease and due to this I am getting weak day by day. My toes are gone almost numb since last two years and the same things are now happening with the upper limbs. I had this disease from childhood, but in a progressive state. So, with time my health degraded constantly. It started affecting my lower limbs. Now, I cannot even walk or stand properly. Now, it started affecting my upper limb as well. I cannot lift heavy objects due to weakness in grip and cannot do any manipulation by fingers quickly such as typing, writing, etc. I have been treated in various hospitals since my childhood. Currently, it was predicted as vasculitis neuropathy and getting treatment accordingly. I have gone through various treatments till now, but unfortunately nothing worked. Now, my doctor suggested me an injection called Rituximab, which can possibly stop the growth of this disease. The two dosages of this injection are quite expensive and due to this we are worried that how much safer is this injection to me. Hence, I thought that I should take an opinion from you before taking this injection. Could you please suggest me your opinion by looking at my attached reports, Is there any possibility to cure this rare disease or at least to stop the growth of this disease? Should I go for this Rituximab injection? I know, it would be a challenging task, but please spend some time and share your thoughts. I have attached my reports, prescription and life history from childhood. Any suggestions would be really helpful to save my life.



Welcome to

I am here to help you. First and foremost, I would like to congratulate you for your excellent narration and detailed documentation of the prescriptions and reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity), which has enabled me to have a good understanding.

  • I understand that you are having neuropathy (cause not clear) and because of that you have weakness and numbness. You have consulted a senior neurologist and a senior rheumatologist and they have followed the protocol.
  • Before trying out the costly drugs, especially when we are doing that as a trial and are not sure it will work I would suggest you take Vitamin supplements plus modification in your diet for 12 weeks.
  • I suggest you the following medicines. Consult your specialist doctor, discuss with him or her and take the medicine with consent.
  1. Capsule Zincovit or capsule Corus, two tablets three times a day. You have taken these, but in less dosages. I am asking you to increase the dose. Do not worry as this will not cause toxicity.
  2. Tablet Homin (Folic acid) one tablet three times a day.
  3. Tab Elcafort three times a day. All tablets after food 
  • After taking these for two weeks, do a set of blood tests and share the results with me. Based on these I will advise the other drugs as well as diet regime for the next 10 weeks.
  • Follow my schedule for 12 weeks. Mostly you will find improvement and we can continue further.
  • If there is no improvement after 12 weeks of my schedule, you can continue with your present regime.

For further information consult a neurologist online -->

Thank you doctor.

First, I want to tell you that I have been treated in such manner by doctors. They gave different dosage of supplements to reduce my weakness. Once due to this my weight got increased to 60 kg from 52 kg. I had to do lots of exercise to get rid of that extra fat on my belly. If you still think I should follow your 12 week plan, then can I continue my current medication Azoran 50 mg and Zincovit tablet?



Welcome back to

  • The regime that I suggested will reduce your weight. This is different.
  • Yes, you can continue your regular two tablets. I have already suggested Zincovit for two weeks, but in different dose.

For further doubts consult a neurologist online -->

Was this answer helpful?


Same symptoms doesn’t mean you have the same problem. Consult a doctor now!

Related Questions:
What should I do to reduce high vitamin B12 level?

Hello doctor, I have been taking Vitamin B medication for over one year and my Vitamin B12 level is very high, greater than 2000 ... Vitamin B12 is a water-soluble ...   Read full

Can I take Spirulina 500 mg tablet twice, to replace the intake of 2.5 mg Folic acid and Vitamin B?

4/17 - small pimple like bumps on left neck 4/20 - "pimples" merge forming larger bumps & swollen lymphoid 4/22 - forming blisters, VERY tender, neck aching, applying pressure relieves aching (popped blisters with alcohol soaked q-tip incase poi...   Read full

How important is Folic acid during pregnancy?

4/17 - small pimple like bumps on left neck 4/20 - "pimples" merge forming larger bumps & swollen lymphoid 4/22 - forming blisters, VERY tender, neck aching, applying pressure relieves aching (popped blisters with alcohol soaked q-tip incase poi...   Read full


Also Read Answers From:

ideaComprehensive Medical Second Opinion.Submit your Case

Also Read

Listeriosis - Causes, Symptoms, Diagnosis, Treatment, and Prevention
Listeriosis is a bacterial infection, that can result in severe complications like meningitis, sepsis, and even death. R...  Read more»
Myositis - Types, Symptoms, Causes, Treatment, and Prognosis
The term "myositis" refers to a set of uncommon diseases. To know more about myositis, read the full article below.  Read more»
Osteoporosis: an Important Public Health Problem
Osteoporosis is a problem that is largely preventable. This article focuses on the causes of osteoporosis and the availa...  Read more»

Ask your health query to a doctor online?

Ask a Neurologist Now

* guaranteed answer within 4 hours.

Disclaimer: No content published on this website is intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek advice from your physician or other qualified healthcare providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website. Read our Editorial Process to know how we create content for health articles and queries.