Q. My daughter has a raised pink mole on her scalp. Does it require a consultation?

Dr. Sampada Avinash Thakare
This is a premium question & answer published on Mar 24, 2017 and last reviewed on: Aug 02, 2021

My daughter, who is 20, has a raised pink mole on her scalp. It has been there for several years. The one in question now has a purplish line running through it. My thought is that it is a visible blood vessel.  Is it a change that requires seeing our dermatologist? Her dad passed away from melanoma. She is fair skinned, blond hair and blue eyed. She has many moles on her body. She does see a dermatologist once a year. It is not her time yet, but I would certainly send her in if warranted.

#

• It can be nevus sebaceous. One of the differential diagnosis can also be viral warts.
  • Nevus sebaceous can appear in the prepubertal age, which looks like solitary, yellow-orange smooth, velvety plaques on the scalp.
  • In postpubertal age, they look thickened, larger, waxy and more nodular as there is a massive development of sebaceous glands.
  • Surgical excision of sebaceous nevus is often recommended during childhood due to the potential risk of neoplastic transformation. However, most of the nevus are benign.
  • I would suggest her to visit a dermatologist for a skin biopsy to confirm the diagnosis and further management.

Skin biopsy and dermoscopy.

1. Nevus sebaceous.
2. Viral warts.

Revert with the report to a dermatologist online.---> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/dermatologist

|