Magnesium

Can I take Melatonin while on Lisinopril?

Query: Hi doctor, I am currently taking Lisinopril for high BP. May I use a salt substitute to reduce magnesium level? Can I take Melatonin while on Lisinopril?  Read Full »

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Yes, I suggest Melatonin can be consumed along with Lisinopril. Consult your doctor, discuss with him or her and then take the medicine with consent. It is not advisable to use a salt supplement with Lisinopril, as it can cause hyperkalemia (high potassium level ...  Read Full »

Can Rabium be used for a long time?

Query: Hello doctor, My mother is 47 years old. She takes Rabium 20 mg tablet daily and it gives her relief in her health problem. I just wanted to know whether this medicine is safe on daily basis. Does this cause any side effects? Is it safe for my mom to take it for a long time?  Read Full »

Dr. Salah Saad Shoman

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. No problem in using it for a long time. If she suffers from any side effects, then she should stop it. The side effects may include nausea, abdominal pain, constipation, flatulence and diarrhea. She needs to take the following precautions while taking Rabium (Rabepraz...  Read Full »

I have PVC after starting Methadone. Will beta blockers help?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 35 year old male, and I am currently on Methadone for chronic pain. I currently have PVC, and my last EKG showed a long QT (over 500 ms). The doctor recommended that I take Magnesium and Potassium supplements as he believes that Methadone may be reducing my magnesium and potassium ...  Read Full »

Dr. Isaac Gana

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have gone through your explanation in detail, and I understand your worries. Long QT syndrome can predispose you to a fatal arrhythmia known as torsades de pointes. In your case, I will strongly advise you to commence treatment with a beta blocker. This is a saf...  Read Full »

What are the specific measures I should follow before surgery?

Query: Hello doctor, I am having surgery next week for reflux, Nissen fundoplication and hiatal hernia repair. A week before surgery, what can I do to improve my chance of success and limit the chance of complication? Can I take my Nexium (PPI) on the day of surgery or should I stop now?  Read Full »

Dr. Eriol Braholli

Family Physician, General Medicine Physician, General Practitioner, General Surgeon, Internal Medicine Physician

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. There are no special measures you have to take for the surgery. Just maintain a light and watery diet from a week before surgery. The two last days (especially the last one) you can take any laxatives such as magnesium sulfate to clean and empty your intestine so that ...  Read Full »

Do I need vitamin D and iron supplement?

Query: Hi doctor, My 25-OH vitamin D total CLIA test showed result of 13.36 ng/mL. What supplement should I start and for how long? Also my iron is 41.2. Do I need a supplement?  Read Full »

Dr. Naresh Kumar Monigari

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. For vitamin D deficiency you need to take capsule Cholecalciferol 60,000 IU once a week for six weeks. Vitamin D is necessary for our body for general health and for calcium absorption into our body. So, indirectly it helps to maintain bone health. Vitamin D is synthe...  Read Full »

Can vitamin C and magnesium levels be restored without stopping EDTA?

Query: Hello doctor, My calcium score is 2000. For lowering it I am taking liposomal EDTA a chelating agent meant to reduce calcium deposits in arteries. But my vitamin C and magnesium levels are sharply reduced. How can I restore vitamin C and magnesium levels without stopping liposomal EDTA?  Read Full »

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. You are taking antioxidant EDTA (Ethylene diamine tetraacetic acid) for reducing calcium deposit in the artery and it is helpful in reducing blood pressure and cholesterol and preventing a heart attack. Now your vitamin C and magnesium levels dropped down because of ...  Read Full »

Is it safe for epileptics on valproate to use Orphenadrine and Magnesium?

Query: Hello doctor, Due to muscle spasm, I was given Orphenadrine and Magnesium. Is it safe to use these medications for patients with controlled epilepsy on Valproate?  Read Full »

Dr. Aida Quka

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Regarding your concern, I would explain that there are no interactions between Valproate and Orphenadrine or Magnesium. So, it is safe to take all these drugs concomitantly, as they do not interact with each other. Besides, both these drugs (Orphenadrine and Magnesiu...  Read Full »

My son has stomach pains, which spreads to the rest of his body. Please help.

Query: Hello doctor, My 8 year old son began having pain on and around his bones about three weeks ago. It is mild in the morning and progressively gets worse into the night. The pain starts at the belly button and quickly moves to the ribs and throat. He felt like he was gagging and had tightness in th...  Read Full »

Dr. Alon Seifan

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Once you rule out major medical illness, I would consider childhood migraines in this case. Is there a family history of somebody who gets regular headaches? Migrating pain in neurology is usually diagnosable based on the duration. Seconds and minutes versus hours sometim...  Read Full »

Is it safe to travel abroad if I have kidney stones?

Query: Hello doctor, I was suffering from back pain and after an examination with ultrasonography in the KUB region, a 2.8 mm calculus was found in the right kidney and a 2.6 mm calculus in the left. I consulted a urologist, who suggested further examination. I have attached the reports of the same. I hav...  Read Full »

Dr. Shahil Khant

Andrologist, General Surgeon, Urologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have gone through your history and your prescription (attachment removed to protect patient identity). You do have kidney stones, but they are too small to cause any pain. For this size, we usually we do not suggest any surgery. It can be dissolved with medicines. It...  Read Full »

Have I developed laxative dependency?

Query: Hello doctor, I am contacting you regarding my bowel issues. About five years ago, I began taking moderate to high doses of Magnesium to ease my heart palpitations. This caused my stools to be very loose and easy to pass. I would normally have 2 to 3 bowel movements a day. Beginning last year, I st...  Read Full »

Dr. Babu Lal Meena

Child Health Specialist, Family Physician, General Practitioner, Medical Gastroenterologist, Paediatrician

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Magnesium dependency looks unlikely. Magnesium, being a laxative, helped your pre-existing condition. The symptoms you have mentioned point towards IBS (irritable bowel syndrome). This is constipation-predominant IBS. In constipation-predominant IBS, you may develop SR...  Read Full »