Noise-induced Hearing Loss

Will cleaning ears result in increased hearing and sensitivity?

Query: Hi doctor, I am 15 years old. I am really worried. I got my ears cleaned just the other day, so my ears would find some sound a bit louder and clearer right? I was at a funeral just yesterday, and the drums were very loud my ears felt a little tired after I left but they got better. In the evening,...  Read Full »

Dr. Dheeraj Kumar Jonnalagadda

ENT Otolaryngologist, Allergy Specialist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. The above mentioned is noise-induced trauma to ear. Hence excessive-high pitch sounds might temporarily increase the sensitivity of your ears. Hence very good precautions to be followed. Volume of earphones should not be greater than 70%. Avoid using earphones for...  Read Full »

I took Neomycin for ringing sounds in the ear but still the problem persists. Please help.

Query: Dear doctor, I am hearing ringing sounds in the ear. It is three weeks now. I consulted a doctor and he said that everything looks normal but gave me Neomycin and I still have the ringing.  Read Full »

Dr. Vaishali Mehta

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I understand your concern regarding ringing sounds in the ear or tinnitus. This can occur due to varied reasons like: Oldage. Noise exposure. Blood pressure medicines. Local diseases in the ear. It can occur without a known cause too. I would advise you to ge...  Read Full »

Can noise exposure at a young age lead to delayed onset NIHL later in life?

Query: Hi doctor, I want you to review a portion of a medical report and put it in layman's term. I am specifically hoping that this report confirms my suspicion that the effects of noise exposure at younger ages can lead to delayed onset of noise-induced hearing loss later in life. The document contains ...  Read Full »

Dr. Priyanka Aggarwal

ENT Otolaryngologist, Audiologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Yes, I can. Please attach the report here. Revert with more information to an ENT otolaryngologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/ENT-Otolaryngologist  Read Full »

Do hearing natural sounds make my tinnitus and noise induced hearing loss worse?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 21-year-old male. I have tinnitus and some hearing loss on the very high frequencies for the past one year. However, my hearing is within a reasonable range of 8 kHz. I can hear up to 16 kHz. But it is much quieter than before. When we have tinnitus and noise-induced hearing loss,...  Read Full »

Allergy Specialist, General Practitioner, ENT Otolaryngologist, Family Physician

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. It is a combination of intensity and duration that causes acoustic trauma or noise-induced hearing loss. If you subject your ears to high-intensity sounds for long durations, then, you are hurting them more. Ideally, you should not submit the ears to more than 90 dB for...  Read Full »

Will there be hearing loss on using noise cancellation headphones 10 hours a day?

Query: Hello doctor, For my work which needs concentration, I need a noise cancellation headphone which filters out sounds. Is there any chance of hearing loss or impairment with use for 10 to 12 hours a day?  Read Full »

Dr. Mehak Agarwal

Diabetologist, Family Physician, ENT Otolaryngologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Yes, you should not use headphones for more than three hours in your case. It also depends on what frequency and what decibel of sound the noise cancellation masker will have. You can rather use ear plugs. For more information consult an ENT otolaryngologist online --...  Read Full »

Why do I have clicking and high-pitched whine after I was subjected to loud noise?

Query: Hello doctor, I was subjected to a loud noise in my left ear. Since then, I have had a high pitch whine and my ear clicks. It seems as if I can contract a muscle in my ear and force it to click and then sometimes it seems to happen on its own. It happens more often than not, with brief episodes whe...  Read Full »

Dr. S Nishanth

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Your problem could be diagnosed following a simple audiological evaluation with tests called pure tone audiometry and impedance audiometry to determine any hearing loss and eustachian tube dysfunction that you might be having. Treatment will depend on the result of ...  Read Full »

Will a dental work up worsen my hyperacusis?

Query: Hello doctor,I suffer from hyperacusis. I need to have dental work done and I am scared to death that the sensitivity will get worse. I keep reading opposing opinions on wearing ear plugs and ear muffs. If I have an IV sedation, my ears are still getting the noise from the drill. I do not know what...  Read Full »

Dr. Mehak Agarwal

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Dental work up will not increase hyperacusis. It may cause a radiating pain to the ears. Ear plugs or muffs do not help. In fact, they may worsen the symptoms. Did you undergo any hearing tests prior to taking an IV sedation? Revert with more information to an audiolog...  Read Full »