Q. I am hearing a ringing sound in my ears after an accidental pistol shot. Kindly help.

Dr. B. Vageesh Padiyar

Accidentally I shot a pistol inside my room without ear protection. And I am hearing a ringing sound in my ears for the last 45 minutes. My query is, is this ringing temporary, or does it indicate any permanent damage to my eardrum?

Kindly help.

#

Thanks for the briefing regarding the problem in concern.

Exposure to any loud sound causes some temporary threshold shift as far as hearing is concerned and might be associated with tinnitus. It usually takes around three to four days for this ringing sound to disappear, or it might take even a week in some cases. There is absolutely nothing that you need to worry about as this is a very common entity we come across. If tinnitus is in the same intensity after a week, it is advisable to evaluate your hearing with pure tone audiometry.

I hope this answers your query.

Warm regards.

|