Q. I am 12 weeks pregnant, and my NT scan showed 3 mm thickness. Should I redo the scan?

This is a premium question & answer published on Oct 11, 2017 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

I am a healthy 41 year old woman, and I am 12 weeks pregnant for the first time. The results of my NIPT harmony test indicated no risk for trisomy 21, 18, and 13. The results of my blood test and NT scan showed that everything was normal except the nuchal fold thickness was 3 mm. This gave a risk of 1:106 for trisomy 21. The nasal bone was, however, visible. My understanding is that, despite the 3 mm nuchal fold thickness, I can assume that the risk of Down's syndrome is extremely low based on the results of the NIPT test and visibility of the nasal bone. I have been told that it is not necessary to consider having an amniocentesis.

I understand, however, that there is a risk of heart defects, and I have been told that a cardiologist will examine my ultrasound in week 18 to see if there are any problems. Can you please comment on my situation and tell me if there are any specific questions that I should be asking my doctor or if there are any other tests I should consider? For example, I understand that the NT scan can be performed until 13 weeks and six days. Should I consider having the scan done one more time before this date to see if the nuchal fold thickness has changed? And should I have my next ultrasound earlier than week 18?

#

First of all, I would like to congratulate you on starting this beautiful journey, being a mom of two, I understand your concerns. Here is what I would suggest.

• Wait till the 18th week to get the anatomical screening. And it has to be checked by a cardiologist.
  • There is no use in repeating the ultrasound for NF (nuchal fold)  again, since there is operator variability and in case you have strikingly different results it will be a source of great discomfort. However, I request for a quadruple screening from your gynecologist, which has to be done between weeks 15 and 22.
  • You may consider 3D anatomical ultrasound at the 18th week to have a better visualization of the cardiac structures. Please continue to take the Folic acid and your prenatal vitamins.

I hope it helps. Take care.

For more information consult an internal medicine physician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/internal-medicine-physician

|