Q. Can anxiety cause numbness in the region between the nose and the upper lip?

Dr. Utkarsh Sharma

I have bad health anxiety. My anxiety has been worse lately. I started feeling numbness in my face between my nose and upper lips. I have noticed this before one year. Is it because of anxiety, or do I need to be concerned?

Kindly help.

#

I can understand your concern, and I will help you with it.

Yes, facial twitching and numbness can sometimes occur as a result of anxiety.

1) Why do you feel anxious?

2) Is it due to specific past experiences?

3) Do you have specific existing health conditions that make you feel anxious about your health?

4) When the same condition was encountered a year ago, what was the duration?

5) Do you take any medications?

6) Have you been on any anti-anxiety medications?

I am waiting for the answers so that I can suggest a further course of action.

Take care.

Thanks for the reply.

I am asthmatic. I had ASD as a kid, and that experience has resulted in bad health anxiety. So, I always worry things are wrong with me. I was on antidepressants for five years, and I was taking seven different antidepressants. The area that feels numb is right below my nose and above my upper lip, and I do not know if I am hypersensitive about a place that just does not have as many nerve endings as other areas. As I recently stopped all my antidepressants, so the anxiety has been increased. When I had this a year ago, I only remember briefly noticing it only once.

Thanks.

#

It is good to know the details. I understand the emotional trauma that you had to face as a kid. Seven different antidepressants is a lot of medication. And as you said, you are not on antidepressants anymore, I believe you stopped them under medical supervision, and it was not self-planned. Weaning off antidepressants is not always easy and can have diverse manifestations.

For now, I advise you to try to ignore the obsession you are having with the sensation around that area. And try to avoid touching the particular area.

In addition, I suggest you take vitamin B12 (Methylcobalamin) tablets 1000 mcg, one tablet daily for one month. Sometimes, there is a deficiency o vitamin B12 can cause numbness. For anxiety, you should try some breathing exercises and walk for 30 minutes regularly.

I wish you good health.

Take care.

|