Q. Can anxiety cause numbness in the region between the nose and the upper lip?

Answered by
Dr. Utkarsh Sharma
and medically reviewed by iCliniq medical review team.
This is a premium question & answer published on Nov 16, 2021

Hello doctor,

I have bad health anxiety. My anxiety has been worse lately. I started feeling numbness in my face between my nose and upper lips. I have noticed this before one year. Is it because of anxiety, or do I need to be concerned?

Kindly help.



Welcome to

I can understand your concern, and I will help you with it.

Yes, facial twitching and numbness can sometimes occur as a result of anxiety.

1) Why do you feel anxious?

2) Is it due to specific past experiences?

3) Do you have specific existing health conditions that make you feel anxious about your health?

4) When the same condition was encountered a year ago, what was the duration?

5) Do you take any medications?

6) Have you been on any anti-anxiety medications?

I am waiting for the answers so that I can suggest a further course of action.

Take care.

Hello doctor,

Thanks for the reply.

I am asthmatic. I had ASD as a kid, and that experience has resulted in bad health anxiety. So, I always worry things are wrong with me. I was on antidepressants for five years, and I was taking seven different antidepressants. The area that feels numb is right below my nose and above my upper lip, and I do not know if I am hypersensitive about a place that just does not have as many nerve endings as other areas. As I recently stopped all my antidepressants, so the anxiety has been increased. When I had this a year ago, I only remember briefly noticing it only once.




Welcome back to

It is good to know the details. I understand the emotional trauma that you had to face as a kid. Seven different antidepressants is a lot of medication. And as you said, you are not on antidepressants anymore, I believe you stopped them under medical supervision, and it was not self-planned. Weaning off antidepressants is not always easy and can have diverse manifestations.

For now, I advise you to try to ignore the obsession you are having with the sensation around that area. And try to avoid touching the particular area.

In addition, I suggest you take vitamin B12 (Methylcobalamin) tablets 1000 mcg, one tablet daily for one month. Sometimes, there is a deficiency o vitamin B12 can cause numbness. For anxiety, you should try some breathing exercises and walk for 30 minutes regularly.

I wish you good health.

Take care.

Was this answer helpful?


Same symptoms doesn’t mean you have the same problem. Consult a doctor now!

Related Questions:
My head started to pulsate and hurt during sex. Please help.

18 days ago, I developed a dull headache at the back of my head, affecting the left side only ... While the headache is mostly dull, on a couple of occasions, during sexual intercourse, my head s...   Read full

My daughter has headache,blurred vision,numbness of arm and face.Is it an emergency?

Hello doctor, My 13 year old daughter complained late yesterday afternoon of a really bad headache and blurred vision with numbness in her arm ...   Read full

Anxiety is every day of my life. Rarely I do get a small break without anxiety. It has been 10 years.

Hi, I am a 32 year old male. My MRI report says: Posterocentral protrusion of L4-5 disc is abutting the L5 nerve root bilaterally. (In MRI it is black between L4-5 and kind of poking the nerve). My back pains occasionally and I think it is the nerv...   Read full


Also Read Answers From:

ideaComprehensive Medical Second Opinion.Submit your Case

Also Read

Relation Between Enamel Hypoplasia and Dental Caries
Enamel hypoplasia is due to incomplete or defective formation in the organic matrix, which forms the first layer of the ...  Read more»
Methods to Increase Breast Milk Production
Several measures can help mothers in increasing their breast milk production. Find out the correct way to breastfeed thr...  Read more»
Ingrown Hair: How Can You Prevent and Treat It
An ingrown hair is a hair strand that grows back into the skin after a clean shave or waxing. It appears as a raised dar...  Read more»

Ask your health query to a doctor online?

Ask a General Practitioner Now

* guaranteed answer within 4 hours.

Disclaimer: No content published on this website is intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek advice from your physician or other qualified healthcare providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website. Read our Editorial Process to know how we create content for health articles and queries.