iCliniq logo

Ask a Doctor Online Now

HomeAnswersPsychiatryobsessive compulsive disorderIs it suitable to add mood stabilizers for an OCD patient?

Can a patient with chronic OCD be given mood stabilizers for a quick recovery?

The following is an actual conversation between an iCliniq user and a doctor that has been reviewed and published as a Premium Q&A.

Medically reviewed by

iCliniq medical review team

Published At May 23, 2023
Reviewed AtOctober 12, 2023

Patient's Query

Hi doctor,

My relative has had severe OCD for the last 20 months. He has not left home for six months and spends 18 to 20 hours in bed. She started tablet Fluvoxamine the previous year at 25 mg, increasing by 25 mg every three weeks, and currently at 100 mg from the last seven weeks. There is a slight improvement in OCD symptoms, and she is calm. She has started virtual ERP and CBT sessions. The psychiatrist wants to add a mood stabilizer. Is that a good next step? Could continuing at the same dose reduce symptoms in three to four weeks? Please help.

Thank you.


Welcome to icliniq.com.

I understand your concern.

The patient has been on the same medication for more than seven weeks. It usually takes four weeks for the full effect of the medication. If there is not much improvement, you must increase the dose or add another medication. You can ask your psychiatrist to add a tablet of Clomipramine 25 mg rather than a mood stabilizer.

I hope the information will help.

Thank you.

Investigations to be done

Kindly do the following blood reports: complete blood count, thyroid profile, vitamin B12, and vitamin D3.

Same symptoms don't mean you have the same problem. Consult a doctor now!

Dr. Vishal Anilkumar Gandhi
Dr. Vishal Anilkumar Gandhi


Community Banner Mobile
By subscribing, I agree to iCliniq's Terms & Privacy Policy.

Ask your health query to a doctor online


*guaranteed answer within 4 hours

Disclaimer: No content published on this website is intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek advice from your physician or other qualified healthcare providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website. Read our Editorial Process to know how we create content for health articles and queries.

This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. iCliniq privacy policy