Q. How can I overcome getting affected by thoughts of past bitter situations?

Dr. Vishal Anilkumar Gandhi
Published on Dec 12, 2017 and last reviewed on: Sep 14, 2019

I have repeated thoughts of past bitter situations all the day for the past six months. I get easily upset and I start crying for unnecessary reasons. This is making my life hell and I have no peace at all. I am having a very poor concentration, not able to study. These thoughts are killing me literally in all ways. Kindly help me out in this situation.

#

You seem to be suffering from obsessive thought disorder with depression. You may have compulsion but you have not mentioned in your symptoms so it seems to be only an obsession.

For example, having an obsession with contamination and compulsion of washing unnecessarily with frequent hand washing.

In obsessive thought disorder, it is difficult to control your thoughts though you know it is unnecessary.

You must start taking antidepressants medication which can help you with both obsession and depression.

Your obsession will increase with stressful situations.

Capsule Fluoxetine 20 mg daily in morning after breakfast can be started. You need to monitor for a long time and increase medication doses to control your obsession. Consult your specialist doctor, discuss with him or her and with their consent take the medicine.

It is a very minimal dose. You may need higher doses.

You can learn to do relaxation to decrease your anxiety from thoughts.

For more information consult a psychiatrist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/psychiatrist

Can antidepressants cause low sex drive?

Query: Hi doctor, I have no sex drive whatsoever and cannot obtain an orgasm. Please help.  Read Full »

Can my OCD get cured with lower dose of medicine?

Query: Hi doctor, I have brain lesion in the left temporal lobe size 0.9 mm as found in brain MRI. I had seizure twice two years ago. I am also suffering from OCD. Fluoxetine 40 mg has been very effective in treating OCD, but caused memory problem, speech problem and lack of concentration. When can I lower...  Read Full »

Can having Fluoxetine with Venlafaxine lift depression?

Query: Hello doctor, Will having 20 mg Fluoxetine added to my existing 375 mg of Venlafaxine help to lift my depression? I had recurring depression since 17 and have been on Venlafaxine for 12 years.  Read Full »