Q. I am having ROCD and obsessed with sexual thoughts and anxiety. Please help.

Dr. Suresh Kumar G D
This is a premium question & answer published on Oct 01, 2020 and last reviewed on: Oct 07, 2020

I have been suffering from OCD, specifically ROCD. I feel anxious all the time, and I have a thought of being with my partner always. Moreover, when I see a woman, I am attracted easily and thinking about her consequently. I feel the urge to tell my partner about it. In my past, I was always obsessed and having sexual thoughts. I am currently on Nodiril, Sertraline, and Lexotanil. I attended CBT sessions with a psychologist, and I am on my second session with TMS as well. Nothing seems to help as I do not know how I do not engage with these intrusive thoughts, and I feel like I want to push it away, which I feel worse. Can you please advise me on what I can do as I feel anxious and depressed with this OCD?

#

I can understand that you are feeling challenged by these OCD (obsessive-compulsive disorder) symptoms. By nature, OCD tends to wax and wane in response to life's stressors.

OCD can be managed by a combination of medication, CBT (cognitive behavior therapy), and lifestyle interventions.

I see that you are on Sertraline, Nodiril (Risperidone), and Lexatonil (benzodiazepine group). Sertraline is a very good choice for OCD. Discuss with your doctor about going upto the maximum dose of 200 mg if you are able to tolerate without side effects. If Sertraline is not effective, alternative SSRI (selective serotonin reuptake inhibitor) like Fluoxetine or Fluvoxamine can be tried. Low dose Nodiril is used to manage severe OCD. Lexatonil is meant to be used for short term only.

CBT is very important. Exposure and response prevention work will help to make OCD less stronger. It can be difficult but continue challenging these thoughts. Try to sit with the uncomfortable thoughts and that you develop distress tolerance.

Lifestyle interventions to manage stress and aid relaxation will make OCD better. Try regular exercise atleast for 20 minutes daily. Practice deep breathing techniques daily. OCD may not always completely disappear but will become less prominent, and you will be able to function much better in due course.

| 

Can psychotherapy treat OCD?

Query: Hi doctor, I am suffering from OCD (Obsessive–compulsive disorder). How can it be treated by psychotherapy?  Read Full »

Can OCD cause repeated image popping in mind?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 25 year old male. I am scared of turning into a gay or homosexual. In the past, I had senseless and intrusive images popping in my head that I am kissing a guy whenever I used to be with my male friends. I never felt an attraction towards any guy. It happened six years before, but ...  Read Full »

Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD)

Article Overview: OCD is a common illness, with varying severity. It is caused by a chemical imbalance in the brain. Treatment includes therapy and medicines. If not treated in time, OCD may progress further and can lead to secondary depression. Read Article

Dr. Vandana Patidar

Sometimes, it happens with that we feel our hands are dirty and not washed properly. So, we wash our hands twice over. At times, we have negative thoughts and keep thinking about it repeatedly, or we check the door lock or gas two to three times. But then, we forget about it later and move ahead. Fo...  Read Article

Does CD marker help in identification of blood cancer?
Hi doctor, I am a 25-year-old male suffering from joint pain and pain in the knees. I also have nausea, vomiting, gynec...  Read more»
I suddenly got fainted and woked up with bruising in eyes. Why?
Hi doctor,I am 28 years old with normal weight and following a vegetarian diet. Last month, I fainted at home and my fri...  Read more»