Q. My daughter was diagnosed with obstructive sleep apnea. Please help me.

Dr. Sandeep Shrestha
This is a premium question & answer published on Sep 18, 2020 and last reviewed on: Mar 05, 2021

My daughter had a sleep study and she was diagnosed with obstructive sleep apnea and some other apnea also. She is not taking medications. I believe that she called it as central. I ordered an oxygen monitor as she was unable to breathe properly. I do not know what to do. In the last hour, it has dropped down to 84 percent fifteen times. Please help me.

#

As your daughter is having apneic spells, it is better to consult a doctor soon to get treatment. The different causes for obstructive sleep apnea are enlarged adenoid, enlarged tonsil, enlarged turbinates, deviated nasal septum, or a large tongue. As you believe it is central, it shows a condition where the brain does not gives signals to the respiratory muscles to breathe. Avoid sleeping over back as it can make the condition worse. There are other treatments such as continuous positive airway pressure, oxygen therapy, and stimulation of the nerve that runs from the brain. You can consult a otolaryngologist along with OSA (obstructive sleep apnea) specialist.

|