Q. Shall I try oil pulling for gum pockets?

Dr. Prerna Jain
This is a premium question & answer published on Sep 21, 2016 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

I was reading about oil pulling and wondered if I try it to cure my 6 mm gum pockets. If it could possibly clean the top of the gum pockets, then will the bacteria and tartar in the bottom worse the problem in the future? I have gum pockets of around 4 mm to 6 mm and an odd one with 9 mm. The recommended treatment is deep cleaning. Will oil pulling help the situation?

Dr. Prerna Jain

Dentistry Orthodontist
#

• Oil pulling is an ayurveda method that removes toxins from the oral cavity and reduces the chances of plaque formation. Although, there are no confirmed reports.
  • However, oil pulling cannot remove existing plaque and tartar especially that is deeper into gums that ultimately gives rise to gum pockets.
  • Thus, only use of this method is not going to help your gum pockets. You must get treated by a periodontist.
  • Pockets occur along with bone loss around the tooth due to chronic plaque or tartar exposure.
  • I advise you to get thorough deep cleaning done. Follow up and get evaluated for flap surgeries with or without grafts to improve the health of your gums.
  • Avoiding deep scaling is only going to make the gum pockets more worse and the treatment will be more complicated. You can supplement the professional treatment with oil pulling occasionally.

For further information consult a dentist online -->https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/dentist

| 

Why do I have swelling behind my last tooth?

Query: Hello doctor, I have a slight swelling on the skin in my mouth near my back teeth. It is slightly bigger than the other side. It has been there since three days. Though it does not hurt, there is some irritation when I eat or drink. I am not aware whether I bumped it while brushing. If so, then it ...  Read Full »

Kindly advise ayurveda treatment for uterine fibroid.

Query: Hi doctor,I have a fibroid of 9.6 × 6.9 cm. It is an intramural fibroid. I have heavy bleeding and back pain during my periods. I also have PCOS. I am taking Rasagandhi mezhugu. What medicine should I take along with Rasagandhi mezhugu for fibroid? Since the size of my fibroid is big, please give m...  Read Full »

After getting my teeth cleaned, why do I still have inflammation?

Query: Hello doctor, I got a teeth cleaning done, but the inflammation is still there. The dentist said that I need to get treated for a receding gum line through surgery. She said it was due to brushing hard and asked me to switch to a soft bristle toothbrush and sensodyne toothpaste. I am also awaiting ...  Read Full »