Q. I have a whitish lesion on the lateral side of tongue. Is it leukoplakia?

Published on Feb 26, 2016 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

I have a mild whitish lesion on the lateral side of tongue. I am afraid that it might be hairy leukoplakia. Thank you.

#

Thanks for your query on this platform.

You noticed recently a white lesion on your tongue.

• This white lesion could be leukoplakia, fungal infection called oral candidiasis, lichen planus or plaque. All are benign conditions, except leukoplakia which could be precancerous sometimes.
  • Please do not reach to a diagnosis, until it has been examined by a doctor preferably a dentist.
  • Hairy leukoplakia is seen in HIV positive patient in late stages.
  • I recommend that you consult a dentist for evaluation. Get a biopsy done and go for further treatment.
  • Alcohol consumption, smoking and tobacco chewing has strong association with leukoplakia.

For further queries consult an internal medicine physician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/internal-medicine-physician

I am sending few pictures too for your reference. Kindly check them and answer.

#

Thank you for your feedback.

I have seen your pictures (attachments removed to protect patient identity).

• It looks like oral candidiasis which is a fungal infection and usually seen in immunocompromised states, intake of steroids and long-term antibiotic use and dry mouth.
  • I would suggest you to use a mouthwash twice daily preferably Chlorhexidine gluconate based or Betadine oral rinse followed by application of topical antifungal cream like Clotrimazole over the affected area twice daily for 7 days.

For further information consult an internal medicine physician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/internal-medicine-physician

I have not taken steroids and antibiotics for a long time, is it related to HIV? Is this the only factor which suppresses immunity for candidiasis? Please suggest.

#

• It can be seen in HIV but it does not mean that you have HIV. If you are doubtful then you can carry out your HIV test in any pathology laboratory.
  • It can also be seen in diabetes, patients with poor oral hygiene or even after cold or sometimes for no reason.
  • If candidiasis is recurrent, then it should be alarming and search for lower immunity status should be carried out. You can take vitamin C and multivitamin tablets to boost up your immunity.

How to prevent bleeding on brushing?

Query: Hi doctor, I noticed light bleeding while brushing. I feel minor discomfort in the gums at the centre, top and back of the teeth. I do not have much pain. Can I apply anything externally on the gums to prevent bleeding? Please advice.  Read Full »

How to stop teeth from tingling?

Query: Hello doctor, I have a fuzzy feeling in my teeth. Kind of like a tingling it is not really pain but it sends chills through my gums and it has been going on for like four days. How should I stop it?  Read Full »