Q. How many times a day should I brush my teeth?

Dr. Prerna Jain
This is a premium question & answer published on Sep 20, 2016 and last reviewed on: Aug 24, 2020

How many times a day should I brush my teeth? I recently bought an electronic toothbrush with five modes. I am not new to electronic toothbrushes. I brush my teeth in sensitive mode and I used to wash them three times a day after having food. Sometimes, especially after I had my teeth cleaned professionally, I experience sensitivity. I do not want to get my enamel wear off. Is it correct to wash my teeth three times a day? Or should I do it only two times a day? Should I use mouthwash at night? I am using a product without alcohol. I read that it might upset the mouth's natural bacterial environment, although it helps preserve teeth. Is that correct?

#

• The best oral hygiene maintenance method is to brush your teeth with a soft or medium toothbrush and fluoride toothpaste.
  • The electronic toothbrush does not offer any real additional benefit to normal individuals. It is the movements of the toothbrush made by our hands that bring about thorough cleaning.
  • Most of the toothpastes available in the market are good as long as they contain up to 1000 ppm fluoride.
  • Using a mouthwash causes no real problem in relation to upsetting the microflora or healthy bacteria. You can continue to use it once a day.
  • Professional cleaning is recommended every 6 to 12 months, depending on your plaque and calculus forming tendency.
  • Due to plaque deposition over a long period there is temporary decalcification that might occur on the tooth surface. Thus, on professional cleaning when it is removed there will a slight increased sensitivity. However, it does not remove the enamel layer at a significant level.
  • So, once we continue to use the fluoride toothpaste with a toothbrush, along with natural fluoride in water, the tooth surface gets remineralized. And then, the sensitivity disappears.

For further information consult a dentist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/dentist

|