Q. The part of the tooth usually inside the gum, is visible out. Is it normal during orthodontic treatment?

Dr. Prerna Jain

My son has been having orthodontic treatment (upper and lower braces) for approximately 2.5 years. He is almost 16 years old now. For the last year, at least one of his bottom incisors has been lifting up and has caused a bump, and a part of the tooth that is usually below the gum line is visible. This is on the inside of his gums under his tongue. Our dentist has been concerned, but the orthodontist is brushing it off. I have never seen this before. Is it normal? Is our orthodontist doing something wrong?

#

• The bump that you see is the root portion of the tooth that is at a greater angle in relation to other teeth. Along with that, the gums will be inflamed and slightly receded. It is common to see this during treatment. It happens when teeth are irregularly placed, to begin with.
  • Normally, the root is then brought into normal position at the last stage of orthodontic treatment called finishing and detailing. That usually removes the bump and the inflammation also subsides. The gums receding might or might not improve.

For more information consult an orthodontist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/orthodontist

|