Q. The part of the tooth usually inside the gum, is visible out. Is it normal during orthodontic treatment?

Dr. Prerna Jain
Published on Sep 24, 2017

My son has been having orthodontic treatment (upper and lower braces) for approximately 2.5 years. He is almost 16 years old now. For the last year, at least one of his bottom incisors has been lifting up and has caused a bump, and a part of the tooth that is usually below the gum line is visible. This is on the inside of his gums under his tongue. Our dentist has been concerned, but the orthodontist is brushing it off. I have never seen this before. Is it normal? Is our orthodontist doing something wrong?

Dr. Prerna Jain

Dentistry Orthodontist
#

• The bump that you see is the root portion of the tooth that is at a greater angle in relation to other teeth. Along with that, the gums will be inflamed and slightly receded. It is common to see this during treatment. It happens when teeth are irregularly placed, to begin with.
  • Normally, the root is then brought into normal position at the last stage of orthodontic treatment called finishing and detailing. That usually removes the bump and the inflammation also subsides. The gums receding might or might not improve.

For more information consult an orthodontist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/orthodontist

Does crooked teeth and broken decayed tooth make extraction necessary for braces?

Query: Hello doctor, I have crooked teeth at front and tooth behind the crooked teeth was decayed and half broke in sideways. It was touching the crooked teeth in backward and my teeth in under jaws are somewhat misaligned. Do I need a tooth extraction for braces?  Read Full »

Will removing wisdom tooth create space for crowded teeth?

Query: Hello doctor, I have high canine teeth due to crowding in my upper jaw. Visually, it appears that space, where my canines should be, is too small for them. However, when I went to an orthodontist, she said that I would need to get my first premolars removed to make room. If I get my wisdom teeth out...  Read Full »

How can I manage painful swollen gums with ulcers caused by excessive brushing?

Query: Hello doctor, After trying to fix my general teeth and gums, I have managed to get rid of the yellow plaque after a few days. However, after brushing gums excessively, ulcers have appeared, and my gums have swollen slightly and are very painful. I was wondering how to fix them and how long it will t...  Read Full »

Ask an Orthodontist Now