Q. Why has my tooth elongated compared to other teeth after wearing bracers?

Dr. Mayank Khandelwal

I started wearing braces three months ago. My right front tooth started to get longer than the left tooth. I would want to know if that is normal. Also, I have no symptoms.

#

Thanks for writing in, and I understand your concern. Based on the images you shared (attachments removed to protect the patient's identity), I would say that it is not normal to have a particular tooth longer than the others. You need to visit your orthodontist and get the bracket on the specific tooth repositioned to perfect alignment. It will be best to get it repositioned as soon as possible to avoid further negative treatment results. Currently, some spaces are present between teeth, which can be utilized to get this tooth above normal levels with neighboring teeth.

The probable causes could be:

a. Incorrect bracket position.

b. That particular tooth might be too forward-tipped that when it started getting retracted and aligned, it became elongated.

If it is not repositioned now, it will have various detrimental effects, and they are:

a. Unesthetic appearance.

b. Chance of trauma to upper as well as lower front teeth.

c. If tried later when spaces are closed, it will not go up.

d. You will have to opt for the restorative and reshaping procedures to get it aligned, which might require root canal treatment if too much tooth reduction is suggested.

|