Q. Will aligners cause dental pain?

Dr. Mayank Khandelwal
and medically reviewed by Dr.Meera Premanand

I am currently undergoing aligners treatment. I have had it for quite a few months, so I am used to the general soreness and tightness; however, I woke up today with one tooth being incredibly painful, almost unbearable even after taking tablet Panadol. Is there anything I can do to help this pain? Pain is sharp and is localized. I also have a cold, but I do not know if that has anything to do with this. I never had any problems with my aligners, and the process has been almost pain-free. I am taking regular birth control.

Please advise.

#

You seem to have an issue with the particular tooth and not the aligner you mentioned; the fitting is normal without much effort. Looking at the symptoms, you have most likely a periodontium (bone lesions) or cavity issue. You have developed a cavity in your tooth that has reached pulp or approaching pulp causing acute severe pain or periapical abscess or periodontal abscess. You can most likely narrow down possible diagnosis in-home setup itself. Remove your aligner and check around your tooth for any black cavity lesions or swelling around gums in that area. After visual inspection, gently tap on top of your painful tooth and next to the particular tooth. If pain is severe in a specific tooth and not in the next tooth, you have an underlying lesion that needs to be taken care of. Visit a dental surgeon for an appointment and get your X-ray done to confirm. The doctor will prescribe antibiotics and analgesics to control the situation based on your clinical condition.

|