Q. How do bony spurs appear on an X-ray?

Dr. Muhammad Shoyab

Can you look at the x-rays of my right hip? What is the floating small white spec near the right hip joint? Is it a labral tear of right hip?

#

I understand your concern.

The tiny white spec near the right hip joint is a "loose body" also known as "detached osteophyte", or "spur". It is a part of the spectrum of osteoarthritis and also degenerative or ageing processes. And yes, when detached or loosened, it can be painful.

Osteophytes develop around the hip joint, usually when the cartilage there becomes thinned, or weakened, thus compromising the cushioning effect as the body weight is transmitted through the hip joint. When these osteophytes detach, they can produce friction between adjacent muscles and tendons, thus producing pain and reducing the range of movement.

In such situations, I think your doctor would advise you to get an MRI (magnetic resonance imaging) of the hip joint to evaluate further factors, including evaluation of the cartilage, labrum, muscles, and tendons. That would help them to prescribe you the most appropriate medications and exercises to alleviate your condition.

I hope the above information is helpful. Wish you an early recovery.

MRI of hip.

Labral tear.

Osteoarthritis.

depends on MRI.

Physiotherapy.

|