Q. My doctor has not prescribed any treatment for osteopenia. Is this sound advise?

Dr. Shaikh Sadaf

I am concerned about my moderately-high calcium levels. I am in my late thirties, in excellent shape and play competitive sports. I am very careful about maintaining a clean diet. Over the past four years, I have had elevated glucose (a1c 6.3) and elevated serum calcium (fluctuating between 9.6 and 10.3). My latest serum calcium was 9.6, but I had a 294 mg 24-hour urine calcium level. My parathyroid and thyroid levels have always been in the normal range. Last year, I had a DEXA scan that showed clear signs of osteopenia. My doctor has not prescribed any treatment beyond Metformin. Is this sound advice? I am concerned that I am at risk for osteoporosis and kidney stones.

#

• I just read your query and from what you have mentioned, it appears that you do have diabetes for which Metformin is an appropriate treatment.
  • As for your calcium levels, you have absolutely normal serum as well as urinary calcium levels.
  • You do have osteopenia, for which the treatment is 500 mg calcium supplements daily and regular sun exposure.
  • You do not need to worry about anything else.

Hope you find my advice beneficial. Good luck.

For further queries consult an endocrinologist online -->  https://icliniq.com./ask-a-doctor-online/endocrinologist

|