Q. MRI taken for back pain reveals low intensity of bone marrow relative to disc space. Kindly explain.

Dr. Mubashir Razzaq Khan

I am a 37-year-old female. I had an MRI for my back. The report mentioned the following, and I was concerned about the comment on the bone marrow's low signal intensity. The doctor's assistant said there was nothing to worry about with the report, but the internet pointed things towards cancer.

Impression:

1. Small posterior disc bulge at L5-S1, with no canal stenosis and no neural foraminal narrowing. Disc desiccation at L3-S1.

2. Diffuse low signal intensity of the bone marrow relative to the disc spaces, which is nonspecific and may be related to chronic anemia or medication-related effect.

Can you please confirm if there is anything to worry about related to the second comment?

My CBC reports done a week back were as under:

WBC count 9.3 x10E9/L. (3.4 to 10.0 x10E9/L3).

RBC count 4.83 x10E12/L (4.00 to 5.20 x10E12/L).

Hemoglobin 12.4 g/dL (12.0 to 15.5 g/dL).

Hematocrit 38.5 % (36.0 to 46.0%).

MCV 80 fL (80 - 100 fL).

MCH 25.7 pg (26.0 to 34.0 pg).

MCHC 32.2 g/dL (31.0 to 36.0 g/dL).

Platelet count 401 x10E9/L (140 to 450 x10E9/L).

Neutrophil absolute count 5.51 x10E9/L (1.80 to 6.80 x10E9/L).

Lymphocyte absolute count 2.49 x10E9/L (1.00 to 3.40 x10E9/L).

Monocyte absolute count 0.75 x10E9/L (0.20 to 0.80 x10E9/L).

Eosinophil absolute count 0.44 x10E9/L (0.00 to 0.40 x10E9/L).

Basophil absolute count 0.05 x10E9/L (0.00 to 0.10 x10E9/L).

Imm Gran, Left Shift 0.05 x10E9/L.

I have no other history except that I had intense pain in my right thigh and low back. I have had a history of slip disc for the past ten years. The upper right thigh pain and the slight numbness was being evaluated for nerve compression.

#

Your symptoms and MRI (magnetic resonance imaging) results are more related to osteoporosis. Moreover, overweight also plays a role in the backbone. Get oral calcium preparations once daily and injectable vitamin D (once weekly for six weeks, then monthly once). Use a straight hard bed, vitamin B12 (preferably injectable), folate preparation, iron preparation (20 minutes before meals). For pain in the back, take NSAIDs (non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs) or opioid analgesics (if the pain is very severe).

The hematologist asks me to get blood smear morphology, Ferritin, Lactate dehydrogenase, Serum /plasma reticulocyte count. Does this mean they found something and are trying to see if there is any cancer? I am a bit worried and cannot do the test until I get back to my place. I need your help.

Also, everywhere on the internet, it said diffuse low intensity means cancer, leukemia, or metastatic cancer. Is that true as per your experience?

#

Low intensity also means there is no bone in that area. It favors your symptoms to be osteoporosis, in which bone gets dissolves due to hormonal imbalance, calcium, and vitamin D deficiency. In my opinion, you should get tests for LDH (lactate dehydrogenase) and ESR (erythrocyte sedimentation rate) if you got to work up for some neoplastic process. Get the test results and get back to us if these are abnormal. No need to contact if the test results are normal.

| 

Ayurvedic Approach to Osteoporosis

Article Overview: The bones become weak and brittle in osteoporosis, that even minor injury leads to fracture. Anyone can develop osteoporosis but it is very common among women over the age of 50 years. Read Article

Dr. Revathi Sundaramurthy

Osteoporosis is a degenerative bone disorder. In this disorder, the density of bone is decreased leading to bone weakness and fractures. What Causes Osteoporosis? Low levels of calcium, phosphorous and vitamin D. In menopausal woman, due to lack of oestrogen osteoporosis occurs. A...  Read Article

Can a woman with osteoporosis conceive?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 31 year old married female. I have been diagnosed with osteoporosis. I am really worried whether I would be able to conceive or not. Please suggest me some advice.  Read Full »

Kindly explain the reports of tests taken for fever, cold, and weakness.

Query: Hello doctor, I just got my full body checkup report. Please review, analyze and suggest.  Read Full »

Does CD marker help in identification of blood cancer?
Hi doctor, I am a 25-year-old male suffering from joint pain and pain in the knees. I also have nausea, vomiting, gynec...  Read more»
I suddenly got fainted and woked up with bruising in eyes. Why?
Hi doctor,I am 28 years old with normal weight and following a vegetarian diet. Last month, I fainted at home and my fri...  Read more»

Ask a Hematologist Now